Discuss Taking over from another spark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam400

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all just after some advice about taking over from another spark. I ve just been to look at a job, it's a block of three flats being renovated, one flat is complete, one flat is in 1st fix, and one hasn't been started. The bloke doing the electrical work has messed them around so much that they have got rid and they want me to take over. I tried to talk my way out of it, said it would be best to get the bloke to finish what he's started but he's taken there money and gone on holiday. I don't think he'll be back some how!

What do I do here? (Run away) Sorry this is probably simple but I have not been in this situation before.

thanks

sam

Sounds like a spark bullying a main contractor and coming out on top......unusual.

I'd be a bit wary, if I was you. Are you getting the full story? Do you know and trust the client?

If he's 'messed them around', why have they paid him?

Then there's the testing issues.

No main contractor as such just a couple that are doing up these flats to let out once complete, the wife asked me for a card whilst I was working at her place of work, they paid him for the first flat as it's complete but it took him a long time apparently prob using it as a hospital job, I am guessing he stuck a bill in for materials on site for the next flat but has since been back and cleared everything.

What I've found in these cases there are 2 sides to every story! I'd be very cautious. Find it strange that previous spark got paid for first flat (complete) then possibly paid up front for materials, only to come back and take them all?

Caution is the word... can you guarantee this persons work? Can you be sure he was a certified electrician? Will you be responsible for the first flat if you take on the rest? If so, can you be sure the work done is safe and compliant?

No certificate issued to the client as yet but the supply has been re-instated so must have been paperwork somewhere. I've told her to chase it up.
I have no reason not to trust her, I have done a lot of electrical work for her boss and she is well thought of.
I think the previous spark has messed them about a lot she didn't go into the financial side of things but I expect he priced to do the 3 flats together and was taking stage payments.

Lets be honest though.. just because the supply has been reinstated doesn't mean for one minute that anything/anyone is certified... There would have to be an agreement in place that states you aren't liable for the previous electricians work.

You can't obviously sign off for the flat that has been completed and the one that is first fixed. You have to talk to your local building control, explain the situation and say that these will be tested and results recorded on an EICR, its then up to Building Control to officially sign them off. They may go on about 3rd party signoff but if you are with Elecsa or NICEIC they won't allow it and their notification process doesn't support it.

Obviously you can sign off the third flat if you are doing all the work from scratch.

You can't obviously sign off for the flat that has been completed and the one that is first fixed. You have to talk to your local building control, explain the situation and say that these will be tested and results recorded on an EICR, its then up to Building Control to officially sign them off. They may go on about 3rd party signoff but if you are with Elecsa or NICEIC they won't allow it and their notification process doesn't support it.

Obviously you can sign off the third flat if you are doing all the work from scratch.

Great reply thanks, I'll ring BC tommorow. I won't be having anything to do with the finished flat, and the 3rd flat will be under my control from the start it's just the one in 1st fix that has stumped me

cheers

No certificate issued to the client as yet but the supply has been re-instated so must have been paperwork somewhere. I've told her to chase it up.
I have no reason not to trust her, I have done a lot of electrical work for her boss and she is well thought of.
I think the previous spark has messed them about a lot she didn't go into the financial side of things but I expect he priced to do the 3 flats together and was taking stage payments.

Everything seems above board from the clients side then. Obvious and important issues have been pointed out to you in the thread. If it was me, working for someone of a similar ilk, I wouldn't be too worried about doing the work...nothing that can't be overcome. Mountains and molehills may apply. Be sure to make her aware that extra costs will be involved regarding Building Control, etc. Be positive about handling it.
Good luck....could be a decent job for you, from a decent contact.

Reply to Taking over from another spark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net