Discuss Talking light fittings... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yep, you read that right! I met two talking light fittings today! You couldn't have a convo with them or nowt though! They were brought over from Afghanistan via China. Loads of LEDs and Bluetooth connected. Each one had three speakers in them. I was fixing the dodgy connections as they both stopped working, heavy as hell they were with around 60 crystals/glass adornments. The fella said they cost £100 each in the Far East, so reckon that would equate too around £500 each over here. Crazy stuff...I should have took a picture..

I am not sure I would mess around with or fix non CE fittings, in fact I would decline such work come to think of it. I would just have to say you are on your own. But then I am careful person who likes to shy away from liability. Sounds interesting though. If they are Brexit fittings they must be good.

I am not sure I would mess around with or fix non CE fittings, in fact I would decline such work come to think of it. I would just have to say you are on your own. But then I am careful person who likes to shy away from liability. Sounds interesting though. If they are Brexit fittings they must be good.

To be honest Vorti I didn't actually check for a CE mark. I didn't fix the fittings themselves - they have been up already for several years and had been poorly installed so replaced the choc blocks with Wagos to the fixed wiring. I scanned over them and there was no apparent damage to them.
I too am normally reticent to fit anything that seems icky, and I avoid using eBay and Amazon due to the increased possibility of counterfeit items.
Saying that, I bet the recalled 1000000 tumble dryers manufactured for over a decade all had CE marks!

Just wondering if you would trust a volt stick ,for proximity test of live parts hidden by cheap plastic . (Lots of electronics have cheap power supplies - even iPhones !)...Tingling DVD players spring to mind...

Ah I see. Voltsticks do have their uses, but I don't trust them for checking dead. They are too erroneous for that IMO. I don't tend to touch the electronics side of things, largely due to a lack of knowledge and competence in that area. My soldering iron does come out once in a blue moon, last time was renewing a couple of dry joints on an extractor. Customer was very happy with the quick and cheap remedy. :)

Just wondering if you would trust a volt stick ,for proximity test of live parts hidden by cheap plastic . (Lots of electronics have cheap power supplies - even iPhones !)...Tingling DVD players spring to mind...
If you have a headache and the missus comes back from the pub feeling "fruity"......

Reply to Talking light fittings... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net