Discuss Tapping into existing line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
At my new lake house, I'm planning to rebuild an unattached shed and make it a Shed/Bunkhouse combo. The current wiring to the existing shed (which is rotting away) has many issues (code wise) and is fed from a 30amp breaker from the house panel.

We may have guests stay in the bunkhouse and they would not have access to the shed, so i'll need to put a panel in both rooms in case breakers trip and need to be reset by guests. Please tell me how off base I am on this idea and offer any suggested changes.

The image below is a main service disconnect located immediately below the meter on the outside wall of the main house. It has copper 2/0 wire coming in from the meter and out to the service panel in the house.

(some links provided in this paragraphs for the products i'm considering using)

I want to tap into the lines below the 200amp main disconnect breaker with same copper 2/0 wire to another box to the right of it with a 100amp breaker. From there use awg 2 aluminum (rated 90C) to run to the new shed (about 70 feet) and the bunkhouse (another 10 feet or so) in a parallel manner. (So the only upstream breakers to either of those two panels are the 200 amp main disconnect and the 100amp breaker beside it where the aluminum starts). Both of these panels would be rated 100amp with the understanding if the shared amperage between the two reaches 100 amps, it would trip the 100amp breaker next to the main disconnect. Also understanding that if the shared amperage between these two panels and the 200amp panel in the house exceeds 200 amps, then the 200amp main disconnect breaker below the meter would trip. I don't see either of these cases ever happening under normal circumstances.

Some assumptions. This 200amp main disconnect appears to have neutral and ground bonded before and after the breaker, So the panel inside the house would be considered a subpanel and it should NOT be bonded there (I have not checked if that's the case yet). Also the 100amp breaker I add next to this would also be considered a subpanel and not have them bonded (nor in the individual panels in the shed and bunkhouse).

Okay.. let me have it... :)

1630523907612.png

At my new lake house, I'm planning to rebuild an unattached shed and make it a Shed/Bunkhouse combo. The current wiring to the existing shed (which is rotting away) has many issues (code wise) and is fed from a 30amp breaker from the house panel.

We may have guests stay in the bunkhouse and they would not have access to the shed, so i'll need to put a panel in both rooms in case breakers trip and need to be reset by guests. Please tell me how off base I am on this idea and offer any suggested changes.

The image below is a main service disconnect located immediately below the meter on the outside wall of the main house. It has copper 2/0 wire coming in from the meter and out to the service panel in the house.

(some links provided in this paragraphs for the products i'm considering using)

I want to tap into the lines below the 200amp main disconnect breaker with same copper 2/0 wire to another box to the right of it with a 100amp breaker. From there use awg 2 aluminum (rated 90C) to run to the new shed (about 70 feet) and the bunkhouse (another 10 feet or so) in a parallel manner. (So the only upstream breakers to either of those two panels are the 200 amp main disconnect and the 100amp breaker beside it where the aluminum starts). Both of these panels would be rated 100amp with the understanding if the shared amperage between the two reaches 100 amps, it would trip the 100amp breaker next to the main disconnect. Also understanding that if the shared amperage between these two panels and the 200amp panel in the house exceeds 200 amps, then the 200amp main disconnect breaker below the meter would trip. I don't see either of these cases ever happening under normal circumstances.

Some assumptions. This 200amp main disconnect appears to have neutral and ground bonded before and after the breaker, So the panel inside the house would be considered a subpanel and it should NOT be bonded there (I have not checked if that's the case yet). Also the 100amp breaker I add next to this would also be considered a subpanel and not have them bonded (nor in the individual panels in the shed and bunkhouse).

Okay.. let me have it... :)

View attachment 89508

Looks better than the other picture!

Our American member Megawatt will be able to advise on this I'm sure.

Reply to Tapping into existing line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net