Discuss Tapping sound behind outlet/wall when using toaster? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ara1234

DIY
Reaction score
I have an electrical question. We got a kitchen remodel done back in September. The last 2 days I've been hearing a tapping sound behind the outlet that was put in when I use my toaster. I unplugged the toaster and moved it to the other side of the kitchen and it still tapped behind the outlet/wall for about 15 minutes then stopped. This has only been happening for the last 2-3 days. Do you think the toaster is causing it? The guy came by tonight and took the outlet out and said all the wires look fine. What do you think it could be?

Can you post a video (with sound)
There is a chance someone will be able to identify the sound.

I have an electrical question. We got a kitchen remodel done back in September. The last 2 days I've been hearing a tapping sound behind the outlet that was put in when I use my toaster. I unplugged the toaster and moved it to the other side of the kitchen and it still tapped behind the outlet/wall for about 15 minutes then stopped. This has only been happening for the last 2-3 days. Do you think the toaster is causing it? The guy came by tonight and took the outlet out and said all the wires look fine. What do you think it could be?
Have you plugged anything else into the suspect socket? I'm not saying this the reason for the tapping noise you describe, it may be a loose or broken connection behind the faceplate of the socket, expanding and contracting as it gets warm from the load of the toaster (causing arcing).
Did the "Guy" that came check any of the connections? any testing done? or did he just unscrew the faceplate and take a quick look? is he an Electrician, or just someone trying to offer help? it may be a loose connection like I mentioned, is there any guarantee that comes with the new kitchen? in many cases when people have a new kitchen fitted the people that do the electrics aren't Electricians, we call them "Kev the Kitchen Fitter" get the kitchen company back to take a look, or you could get an Electrician to check and test the kitchen electrics at your expense and try and claim the costs from the kitchen company should he find anything wrong, good luck.

Do you have any certification paperwork for the electrical work in the new kitchen?

People who provide paperwork, are more likely to have done a good job in the first place in my opinion.

Have you plugged anything else into the suspect socket? I'm not saying this the reason for the tapping noise you describe, it may be a loose or broken connection behind the faceplate of the socket, expanding and contracting as it gets warm from the load of the toaster (causing arcing).
Did the "Guy" that came check any of the connections? any testing done? or did he just unscrew the faceplate and take a quick look? is he an Electrician, or just someone trying to offer help? it may be a loose connection like I mentioned, is there any guarantee that comes with the new kitchen? in many cases when people have a new kitchen fitted the people that do the electrics aren't Electricians, we call them "Kev the Kitchen Fitter" get the kitchen company back to take a look, or you could get an Electrician to check and test the kitchen electrics at your expense and try and claim the costs from the kitchen company should he find anything wrong, good luck.

i think he’s a general contractor but not sure about electrician. He did a lot of electrical work though. He took the face plate off and checked the connections and tightened the cover that covers the wires. I then turned on the toaster again and it did it. It didn’t do it every time the toaster was on when I was showing him but about the 3rd time it did. I even unplugged the toaster and moved it away and the noise was still tapping behind the wall. He said he thought it was going up to the under cabinet light as an “outlet” because the light was off. (Whatever that means). He told me not to worry and that it won’t catch on fire but had no explanation for this. This outlet was installed last sept and didn’t do this until a couple of days ago which is strange and we’ve been using the toaster almost daily.

i think he’s a general contractor but not sure about electrician. He did a lot of electrical work though. He took the face plate off and checked the connections and tightened the cover that covers the wires. I then turned on the toaster again and it did it. It didn’t do it every time the toaster was on when I was showing him but about the 3rd time it did. I even unplugged the toaster and moved it away and the noise was still tapping behind the wall. He said he thought it was going up to the under cabinet light as an “outlet” because the light was off. (Whatever that means). He told me not to worry and that it won’t catch on fire but had no explanation for this. This outlet was installed last sept and didn’t do this until a couple of days ago which is strange and we’ve been using the toaster almost daily.
Ara Hi
After my last post, I began thinking out, of the box so to speak, what may seem silly but been scratching my head, and came up with this thought,
I'm thinking simple explanations so don't laugh and I'm not taking the Mick, could the tapping sounds you are hearing be nothing but the Toaster Elements heating and cooling down ?

Ara Hi
After my last post, I began thinking out, of the box so to speak, what may seem silly but been scratching my head, and came up with this thought,
I'm thinking simple explanations so don't laugh and I'm not taking the Mick, could the tapping sounds you are hearing be nothing but the Toaster Elements heating and cooling down ?
Yes , I had one that had a nice little melodic hum.

It's Califonia termites. they're big buggers, like everything in Ca.

Ara Hi
I thought it might be at first but that’s why I unplugged it and moved it across the room to see where the noise was and it was still at the outlet.

ARA my first opinion is that the receptacle that your plugging your toaster in sounds like it’s arching and you moved to another receptacle and still hears that noise I guess in the original receptacle. I don’t know what the electrician checked but the original receptacle could still arch even though you tried another receptacle because it probably is on the the same circuit. All the receptacles need to be checked in the kitchen. I bet you will find your problem in one of the receptacles. Good luck
[automerge]1580841471[/automerge]
ARA my first opinion is that the receptacle that your plugging your toaster in sounds like it’s arching and you moved to another receptacle and still hears that noise I guess in the original receptacle. I don’t know what the electrician checked but the original receptacle could still arch even though you tried another receptacle because it probably is on the the same circuit. All the receptacles need to be checked in the kitchen. I bet you will find your problem in one of the receptacles. Good luck
When you had the renovations made some paper hanger could have drove a nail through the wire in a place you can’t get to

Last edited:
[automerge]1580841471[/automerge]

When you had the renovations made some paper hanger could have drove a nail through the wire in a place you can’t get to
Why would it just now start making the noise?

You may have won the post code lottery and someone's knocking at the door.

Seriously I think you need someone to do an insulation test on the kitchen circuits.

Why would it just now start making the noise?
That’s a good question but when people try to explain noises it hard to interpret but if it’s actually a knocking noise what about your plumbing which if not supported correctly will make a knocking noise when the water is on. Electrical arching would sound like a sizzling noise. Other than that I would like to hear it myself

I took a video of the sound. I purchased a new toaster and the sound is still there. Any idea what it can be?
I don’t think that’s electrical. When your kitchen was renovated and you had plumbers doing work also I’m banging my head to figure out what that noise is. Is that tapping sound next to the sink ?
[automerge]1581205530[/automerge]
I don’t think that’s electrical. When your kitchen was renovated and you had plumbers doing work also I’m banging my head to figure out what that noise is. Is that tapping sound next to the sink ?
ARA is that a GFCI receptacle making that noise ?

Reply to Tapping sound behind outlet/wall when using toaster? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock