Discuss Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm okay thanks mate, it's more finding the time at the moment rather than anything else. Do you do all the booklets or do you just work through the TMA's?

Hi guys,

just looking through this thread and its very interesting. I'm looking to enter and complete a higher level electrical engineering course. This one in Teesside stands out as it is completely online. This is the only way that suits me as I work away in The Oil & Gas industry and I'm only home every 8 weeks on rotation.

if you guys doing this course could give me their opinion on it I'd be very grateful. I'd like to know how you find the course and is it beneficial?. What's the content like and is it very difficult to study by yourself?

Im an electrician by trade and also have an odd on certificate in instrumentation and process control. I'm from Ireland and qualified there but unfortunately there's no online electrical engineering courses offered in Ireland. I did start my degree in Mechatronics this year but had to be home on various dates for lab days and just didn't suit my rotation for a finish.

any replies will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance guys.

shane.

Shane,

you should be fine with this course, with working offshore it sounds like you will have a good amount of time to work through the books and TMA's assuming you can motivate yourself. The modules are only worth 15 credits instead of 20 which i have previously studied. The level is quite a spread, for example DC theory starts at the ohms law level and goes right up through but you can skip these sections and go straight to the self assessment questions just to prove that you are okay with everything in that particular booklet. The tutors are on the end of e-mails/phone if you struggle but i haven't had to use that facility yet and i'm no genius:bucktooth:.

There are some modules which are mandatory, this means that you may not be thrilled with the subject matter i.e. mechanical side of engineering science. I'm an EC&I tech in the power industry and once i've completed engineering science i can get onto my picks i.e.DCS, PLC's etc..

Hope this helps.

Hi Sm75k,

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it.. Couple more questions for you if you don't mind. The bulk of the modules look interesting enough, but like most people the maths I wouldn't say concern me, as a lot of it will probably come back, but is it very hard get motivated to actually learn it yourself from a book.?? I can see that being the biggest challenge for me or how did you find it?

Also what I'd like to get from the course is get more in depth with MV & HV. Does the course offer this scope. i.e. transformers, switchgear, learning about fault calcs, relay setting etc. I see a lot of the modules are more so electronics based?

Again thanks for your time. Cheers,

Shane.

Shane, i find i go in peaks and troughs with studying, sometimes i'm really in the zone and get loads done other times i can go a couple of weeks without even looking at. It is always in the back of your mind though.

I haven't done the later modules yet, i will be selecting more C&I based modules but my mate at work is going down the heavy "L" route with HV and switchgear. I would suggest just phoning up and speaking to the course co-ordinator, i'm sure he will be able to answer your questions better than me

Stu

Hello there.

Can you guys possibly point me in the direction of some help with the maths bridging modules for this course. I am struggling with the calculus module (TMA3). I know this is off topic or maybe there is a topic I have overlooked for the bridging modules. Thanks guys.

Hi guys, just read through this whole thread as
I've been looking for a distance learning course and after looking on their web site I think I've found the one! Does anyone know the exact cost of this course?

Cheers!

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum having come about it through searching on Google.

I am currently doing my HND through teeside university having already completed my HNC through day release.

I see that from most people you are working on engineering science, but are people working on other modules?

Hi Gents hope you are all well,

I have a question regarding TMA 4 Q1 iv) Looking for Z

I have I=P/Vs(PF) and transpose for I to get 4.34A
Then to find Z Z=Vs/I which gives 27.65ohm
When I put this back into (PF)=R/Z to confirm i dont get the right answer

Any help would be great

hi mate,

i'm still on TMA 3, been working loads but i have done electrical principles module before which covered all of this, i will have a look later and see if i can offer any help.

Reply to Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net