Discuss Telephone Points for a flat in a block of apartments in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've had a browse on the net and on this forum but can't find any information on the photo attached
Telephone Points for a flat in a block of apartments Master BT Tel Cable.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Young ladys flat in a block of apartments, this is the only telephone point that's wired up and it works perfectly with telephone and router plugged in.

Problem is, I've never seen a telephone point wired up like this before - there are two other telephone points in the house that are not wired up, just cable sitting behind a blank plate and she's asked me to wire them in for her.

But I'm confused - why has only the white/blue and blue/white cables used? And how do I wire up the other two tel sockets that has numbered slots.

Ah cool - as simple as that?! The telephone sockets I have don't have two screws like this one.... it has numbered slots. What numbers should I use for the two blue cables?

blue/white 2 white/blue 4, that is a master socket you have there, the rest need to be slave sockets coming off the IDC terminals not the screws, buy a punch down tool, look up telephone systems online as well

Last edited by a moderator:
do not just jump off the back of those connections, there should be a removable part that allows you to disconnect the extension wiring from the main box for fault finding, connections are as follows blue/white 2 orange/white 3 white/blue 5 any non standard wiring may cause problems which can result in a large bill if pto have to come out,when I was at BT they told you to always try and find something to charge client for so be carefull.has the master socket got BT logo on it? if it hasn,t it may be a non approved part,assuming BTis the service provider and not a cable company.

It's def BT - so the master has one cable using blue and White cables with screws, and I should connect the extension cable to the IDC terminal on the master and on the slave socket using the punch down tool!

Hope iv got that right?!!

As I said somewhere inside the master will be IDCterminals, the front plate usually seperate from back and IDCconnectors will be behind it, make sure you connect all 3 though

If you have an ADSL broadband connection don't connect terminal 3 only connect the 2 & 5 if you connect terminal 3 you may get reduced speed on your broadband due to interference

As phil d says, there should be seperate plug-in front plate which has the IDC connections on it. I can't really see from the photo, but it looks like this has been removed. Did you do this or is it missing? If missing, you might be best fitting a complete new master socket assembly (or get BT in to do it). Do you have a photo of the front of the phone socket?

Reply to Telephone Points for a flat in a block of apartments in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock