Discuss Telephone/utility lines (Newbie) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HokkaHokka

Hi,

Complete Newbie, desperate for info (please be gentle!)

I am sorry if this is a stupid question...

We have had an offer accepted on a property, but I am just a little concerned about a utility pole and cables to the front of the property.
As we have 2 young children, I would like to be sure that there are no risks due to voltage/ radiation. long term risks etc.

We asked the eastate agent about the pole and received the following response:

"Regarding the utility/telephone pole at the front of the house. The Vendor informs me that there is a BT line and power supply running from the line to the property and also the property opposite. Also from this line there is a BT line to the next door neighbour. In respect of a 'low voltage' line the owner is uncertain of voltage and should you require any further information it is something you would need to investigate either yourself or via your solicitor."

I have also attached a few photo's.

Does anybody have a knowledge or suggestions regarding this?

Many Thanks

HH

Attachments

• Pros1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 47
  • Pros.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0828.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45
I am not sure what one can say about this, you have been told that the power supply to your house and other houses comes from this pole and that the telephone service also comes from this pole. (it also appears to be a street light, making the pole work for its living!). This looks to be correct.
This is a standard arrangement all across the country and you would be within about 20m of a similar pole in almost any house.
If your children were to climb the pole then the top of the pole presents a danger because of the power connections, but the poles are very difficult to climb.
If you remain at ground level then there is no shock risk.
There would be no measurable radiation applicable at all, above what you would experience in a house.

If the neighbours open the door and look haggard, ill, bald and all their teeth have fallen out its either radiation or they're just old.

There's no risk of electrocution unless your kids start shimmying up the pole or embark on a bizzare hobby of kite flying under the lines.

Studies in the past have suggested a link between high voltage lines / transformers and childhood cancers but this has never been anything like proven and the lines supplying your house from this pole will not be high voltage anyway.

There is nowt to worry about.

The voltage on the power line is 230v a.c (nominal) same as is in your house.
Power on the B.T side is 50v d.c.
Both are very commonly found and present no risk.

As above it's close proximity to higher voltage that has always had concerns.

it's called a joint user pole,ie shared by utility and BT,the ones I,ve worked on had the mains cables from pole to house insulated with pvc,the top one is usually the phase conductor,as others have said very common in rural areas and wouldn't bother me if it was my house.While on the subject if you bought the property it would be an Ideal time to teach your kids about the dangers of overhead lines,there are some decent vids on youtube.

Reply to Telephone/utility lines (Newbie) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net