Discuss Tell me if this is going to be an issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Don’t bite my head off, I’m not used to installing radial circuits. Just the odd spur, or an rfc if new circuit.
Between being Sunday, man flu and an early alarm... my brain has stalled.

A while ago I ran a spur from 32A rfc direct from the mcb to supply a new double socket in my hall. Only gets used by Henry... or the new guy: Dyson.

What I am wanting to do is make a utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer, and maybe another double socket. Easiest plan is to use that spur from earlier, put it on its own 16 or 20A mcb and make a radial with hall socket on the end.

Question is, are radial circuits ok for a couple of high power appliances and possibly dyson on all at the same time, or would I be better installing a 32A ring for just these 4 points?

Don’t bite my head off, I’m not used to installing radial circuits. Just the odd spur, or an rfc if new circuit.
Between being Sunday, man flu and an early alarm... my brain has stalled.

A while ago I ran a spur from 32A rfc direct from the mcb to supply a new double socket in my hall. Only gets used by Henry... or the new guy: Dyson.

What I am wanting to do is make a utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer, and maybe another double socket. Easiest plan is to use that spur from earlier, put it on its own 16 or 20A mcb and make a radial with hall socket on the end.

Question is, are radial circuits ok for a couple of high power appliances and possibly dyson on all at the same time, or would I be better installing a 32A ring for just these 4 points?

Get a tumble dryer, that would be less of a problem. :)

washer and tumbler together on heat cycle is c. 20A. a 20A radial will be fine unless you plug in excessive load on the other double sockets. i'd prefer a 32A RFC

That’s what I was thinking @telectrix if I want to use the vacuum cleaner as well.

@Baddegg ive already got 2.5 in as the spur... was just going to reuse that cable as it’s buried in the wall for the last metre or so.
Always got 2.5 cuttings in the van.

So it’s either a radial, or a ring for the machines and a spur to feed that hall socket.

I think you’ve answered your own question. If you can’t run a complete new cable of a size of your choosing and 2.5mm is already installed then under those circumstances I’d run a ring final. It would then also ‘future proof’ you to a degree when wifey adds more domestic cleaning machines et al.

Ok. What I’ve done is left the hall spur as a spur. It’s off the downstairs rfc, so it makes sense to leave it.
I’ve run a new rfc into the new utility room, leaving scope for additional sockets if need be.
Got the plumbing to do now, and some joinery work.
Hanging a door is easy, right?

Ok. What I’ve done is left the hall spur as a spur. It’s off the downstairs rfc, so it makes sense to leave it.
I’ve run a new rfc into the new utility room, leaving scope for additional sockets if need be.
ask the guys in Hartlepool. they used to hang plumbers monkeys.

Just make sure you have a sharp chisel :p

Just make sure you have a sharp chisel :p
I’ve got a screwdriver. Will that do?

Why is it, when there’s tradesmen in the house, my wife is very accepting of dust, a bit of mess and noise... always at hand with a cup of tea or a round of bacon sandwiches...
but when I’m doing work in the house, it’s all
“Do you have to do that now?”
“Are you going to clean up afterwards?”
“Do you know what you’re doing?”

Not quite as bad as my mum... who still tells me to be careful when I’m 2 steps up on a ladder

Get a tumble dryer, that would be less of a problem. :)
In the US the tumble dryer requires a 30 amp service at 240vac, washing machine requires a 20 amp 120vac isolated circuit. I don’t know how y’all do it or the current on the dryers and washing machine in the UK

In the US the tumble dryer requires a 30 amp service at 240vac, washing machine requires a 20 amp 120vac isolated circuit. I don’t know how y’all do it or the current on the dryers and washing machine in the UK
our machines are only 10A each so generally plug into the socket circuit. in OP's case, it's a combined washer/dryer,so it'sphysically impossible to have both parts working simultaneously. it washes then spins, then tumble dries in sequence. don't forget, all our appliances are 240V so 1/2 the current you's need at 120V.

No sure of my load of our washer dryer, apologies I meant washer dryer in my previous post, but it runs off our 13amp sockets. It has an ++A efficiency rating, so shouldn’t be using the fall amount.

Reply to Tell me if this is going to be an issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock