Discuss Temp hooking up a pair of 16a ovens for Christmas day.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As I said, anyone could plug anything into such a socket, so it could in theory be overloaded.
And also as I said, it's very unlikely to happen though in this case.
Agreed, but that could be said for anything if someone's willing to wire in something to which the socket isn't rated for.

Swap the commando sockets for wiska boxes with 41A Wagos.
Obviously with appropriate cable restraining glands, and loads of gaffer tape around everything in sight to complete the look.

Or just plug the damned things in!

What hasn't been mentioned so far is that some oven manufacturers stipulate maximum 20A upstream protection and are not intended to be connected to a 32A MCB, regardless of any plugs and sockets.

I assume he meant in my original example of using 2 x 16a plugs/sockets onto the existing cooker circuit which has 32a protection. In theory either oven could develop a fault and draw enough current to exceed what the plugs/sockets can handle but not enough to trip the 32a mcb..

A problem avoided entirely with the 13a plugs as they have the fuse protection in the plug.
Can you think of a fault scenario in a oven circuit which could cause a high enough current to be drawn, but not enough to cause the mcb to disconnect ?

What hasn't been mentioned so far is that some oven manufacturers stipulate maximum 20A upstream protection and are not intended to be connected to a 32A MCB, regardless of any plugs and sockets.
True and I haven't even checked what protection they stipulate. No point until

It's hardly a concern for this instance though, given they'll be used for a single day with me present the entire time.

Can you think of a fault scenario in a oven circuit which could cause a high enough current to be drawn, but not enough to cause the mcb to disconnect

I suppose failed insulation/component somewhere in the cooker could cause it to pull more current than it's internal wiring can handle, enough to cause a fire but not quite enough to trip the MCB. There must be a reason some manufacturers request lower amp than typical protection on the cooker circuit - I can't think of anything else other than a freak internal electrical fault.

Seems more likely I'll suffer a wine related falling over incident than anything else on the day though ;)

Safety first though, should either of the ovens somehow manage to burst into flames, there is a suitable fire extinguisher in the utility room right next to the kitchen.

Last edited:
I suppose failed insulation/component somewhere in the cooker could cause it to pull more current than it's supply wiring can handle, enough to cause a fire but not quite enough to trip the MCB.
Very doubtful of that, but the same could also be said for any decent current carrying circuit.

Heating elements usually go open or fail to ground, causing the rcd to trip.

There must be a reason some manufacturers request lower amp than typical protection on the cooker circuit - I can't think of anything else other than a freak internal electrical fault.

Because diversity can be taken into account.

Reply to Temp hooking up a pair of 16a ovens for Christmas day.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock