Discuss Temporary building supplies again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

Regular EF Member
just wondering how you guys,install temp electrics to portacabins
Seen a lot of installs on sites & at schools where I don’t think it’s correct.
Mainly earthing,& earthing conductors,or am I being over cautious,cheers.

The_apprentice2.0

Regular EF Member
I don't do a lot of it personally, but there is a standard for temp supplies, have a look at BS7909 think its tailored more to events etc but might be some help o_O

D

Deleted member 26818

A lot of Portacabins seem to come pre-wired with commando sockets to link them together.

driverman

Regular EF Member
I'm under the impression that temp supplies have to be TT earthing.
DNO's usually insist on TT earthing for temp supplies. They will not provide PME for temp supplies.
Even if Perm supply, aren't porta cabins classed as temp building as they are movable?

OP
C

cliffed

Regular EF Member
DNO's usually insist on TT earthing for temp supplies. They will not provide PME for temp supplies.
Even if Perm supply, aren't porta cabins classed as temp building as they are movable?
Thanks,seen so many not tt,& agree Pme should not be used.

N

Nigel

Agree,but I haven’t seen that being done on sites
I agree. We test a lot of steel shipping containers and they are almost never done correctly. Usually connected to a PME earth is the issue.

Deleted member 9648

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
TT is not always required. TNS is acceptable. A TNCS supply to a transportable unit can be used where the installation is under the continual supervision of a skilled or instructed person. This may be the case in the units you have observed not on a TT

N

Nigel

Any transportable unit will need an earth electrode installed unless it is under the supervision of 'skilled or instructed person(s)' in which case the PME can be used.

Construction sites also need to comply with Section 704 as well as 717.

Deleted member 9648

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Any transportable unit will need an earth electrode installed unless it is under the supervision of 'skilled or instructed person(s)' in which case the PME can be used.

A transportable unit connected to a TNS earth will not need an earth electrode or to be under supervision.

OP
C

cliffed

Regular EF Member

The only thing would be if it would be realistic,especially Main Earth bonding,concerning the size of the neutral on a tncs

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.