Discuss Temporary Power - Voltage stability affected by Photographer's Strobes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 105166

Was at a small event recently providing generator power & distribution to the usual line-up of PA system, bar refrigeration, coffee stall, etc. plus a photographer's tent. The photographer had two budget Godox studio strobes.

I place a multimeter at the distro on AC voltage min/max and check periodically for early warning of any irregularities.

I understand this type of flash strobe works by discharging a voltage of circa 1,000V for a small fraction of a second, and would imagine a diode protects the supply from being back fed.

Each time the strobes were discharged, I was metering a momentary spike of circa 30V at the distro.

I've given power to photographers previously and never encountered this... my thinking is that one (or both) of these budget strobe units had poor/leaky diodes allowing the capacitor voltage to back feed.

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to the cause or similar experiences with this type of equipment?

The photographer was blissfully unaware and didn't really understand the problem - I told him if I metered >265V, that I'd disconnect, fortunately for him, it didn't - quite! The PA system circuit was feeding a power conditioner and the other circuits didn't support anything sensitive, hence setting 265V in my mind as the threshold I'd allow.

What's a distro?
What's the issue with a momentary spike with equipment being switched on?
Hi Charlie

Distro - temporary distribution board, like pictured in my avatar

The spike was occurring every time the photographer flashed and was increasing the supply voltage on other users’ circuits

What were you measuring with, a multimeter? What size genny with what type of AVR? I'd say one of two things:

If the genny is smallish, and the power supply in the flash units is very crude with a low power factor (either capacitive or distorted) it might interfere with the regulation. A strongly leading power factor causes an excitation boost, and a half-wave rectified input current can cause unpredictable effects. But for this to happen, I would think the flash input power would have to be a sizeable fraction of the total genny load.

Alternatively, what you were seeing was not really an increase in AC voltage but your meter being disrupted for a moment by an impulse of interference, possibly only microseconds long, radiated by the flash due to skimpy filtering. If you had a filament lamp connected, its behaviour would have suggested whether there was a meaningful change in the voltage. Other than that you would probably have had to watch it on a scope to understand what was happening.

I don't think 'back-feeding' as such is a thing. If the flash unit does charge a reservoir cap directly from the mains, any failure of the input rectifier would be instantly self-destructive and the unit would not function.

This is a prime example where a digital multimeter has you looking for a non existent problem and highlights the test equipment's limitations
The trouble is the instruments more suited to this task are much more expensive

Reply to Temporary Power - Voltage stability affected by Photographer's Strobes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock