Discuss Tenant has questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ElectriciaNot

Hi Electricians,

I'm not an electrician. I have some electrifying questions and since there seems to be a forum for everyone these days, I thought I'd come here and ask you guys. I hope you don't mind the intrusion.

Basically we're private tenants. We've been informed that the property we're in is wired to 16th edition, there are no back boxes on light switches and power sockets, and there is no continuity on earth. This was on a British Gas form in a box called "At Risk / Not to Current Standards" so obviously we're just a little concerned about these items.

All this means nothing technically to us. We've been told to use plastic switches. I note a few of the current power sockets have metal fronts but with plastic at the entrances to the plug-sticks holes. The rest are plastic. Our decorator however has said he will not loosen any sockets when decorating like he normally would as there are no back boxes and due to the earthing.

Can anyone explain some of this to me a bit more, as simply as possible if possible please? Am I all safe? Should I be asking the landlady to do anything about any of this.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa.

i would ask your land lady to have periodic inspection report carried out by an electrician most landlords would have this done at change of tennant.
it sounds as if the house is not even to 16th edition i would push for this it will list any problems and how serious they are.

I asked but got this reply "In connection with your request for a full inspection, your landlord has confirmed in writing to us that the property complies with the Safety Regulations 1994 and 1996."

Hi Lisa

An earth is your safeguard against problems. Think of electricity as water for a moment water will always take the easiest route so will electricity.

If for instance a metal object in your home became live and you touched it the electricity would flow through you to earth and you would get a shock.

However if you had the metal object earthed and it becomes live then you should be able to touch it and not get a shock as the earthing offers virtually no resistance to the flow of electricity and it would flow along the earthing rather than you.

Does that help you at all

Chris

Thanks Chris. I was told not to have metal light switches, so that now makes sense as electricity won't travel through to me from the switch. Would you say then that plastic socket fronts won't help at all as the item such as hairdryer could become live and give a shock?

As the agency don't seem prepared to arrange a test, I think I'll be getting a test done myself. Rather my wallet hurts than my self.

I asked but got this reply "In connection with your request for a full inspection, your landlord has confirmed in writing to us that the property complies with the Safety Regulations 1994 and 1996."

this statement means nothing to me as an electrician and says nothing about the state of the insallation depending on your relationship with the landlord you should push for a p i r

Although most rented properties have a PIR on a change of occupancy, it is not the law.

However, the landlord has a duty of care to the tenants and so must ensure that the property is safe.

It may be better for you to arrange a PIR and then contact the letting agent and tell them of the results.

Thanks Jason. Yes, I think I will do that. How much should I be looking at for one of these, just so that I know not to get stung? Also, where's best to find an electrician that would be trustworthy?

Hi Lisa

I would suggest that you get someone to have a look for you. From what you have said it sounds like a shoddy job at your place and everyone seems to agree. If the cabling to your sockets has an earth and this goes back to your consumer unit then your hair dryer ect will be earthed through the socket. If you dont have an earth to the socket then your hair dryer wont be earthed either.

Have a look at your hair dryer does it have what looks like two boxes on it one inside the other. If it does the har dryer is double insulated and does not need an earth. If it does have the two boxes undo your plug and you should find no earth connection. The two boxes can be found on the makers info on the appliance.

Chris

Lisa

Ive sent you a private message have a look at it

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lisa
Price varies from contractor to contractor best to check on NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT etc websites for an approved contractor/domestic installer as these are registered so you will have more backup that its done right.
Regards
Kung.
Or you could put area you live down and contact number and one of us might be able to take a look and do a P.I.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your Landlord if the insurance company will pay out with the electrical installation in this condition if the place goes on fire....Show him these comments from the forum.

You need some urgent attention to the electrics by the sound of it.

By the way ,what was the reason for the original comments form from british gas ?

regards......spark1

Hi there.

The bit that particularly worries me is and I quote"no continuity on earth" does it say on what particular earth?? sockets, lights etc, could be very dangerous dpending on what earth it is.

Would definately advise along the same lines as others and get an independant opinion from another spark.

Cheers.

We're definitely calling an electrician tomorrow.

We'd asked for some lights to be fixed which weren't working and it turned out the landlady has a BG monthly schemem thing so they were called to look at it. Turns out you can only switch the upstairs light switch on downstairs when the upstairs switch is in a certain position and vixce versa. Some incorrect wiring there but not unsafe, unless you count a dark stairway unsafe due to poor lighting.

Anyway, he noted there were no back boxes in the light sockets and made a note along with one about the 16th thing and one about earthing. I personal yesterday looked behind a power socket and saw no back box.

I think it all needs proper checking, but the landlady won't do it and has no legal requirement to do so I don't think, and there's no regulations when it comes to the maintaining agency.

So, we'll sort it ourselves and if something arises we'll go staight at them for our money back and do take action, and if nothing does, it's money well spent on alaying any fears.

Appreciate all your professional advice, thanks.

Hi,
Im with looneylen on this one it needs a good looking at.

heres a rant on your first point;:mad:

your lanlord has a responsibility to your safetey as " a duty of care" and also there is a government guidance document entitled "repairs - a guide for landlords and tennants" this states that under "the lanlord and tenant act 1985" he must ensure the installation is safe when the tennancy begins and maintained throughout the tennancy.
It is also a requirement of the electricity at work regulations (wich is a legal document unlike bs7671) that the electrical system is maintained to prevent danger.
None of the above criteria in my opinion anyway can be met without a full periodic inspection being carried out.

hope this helps

The landlord /tennant relationship with regard electrical safety is a government fob off because it does not want this issue regularised because of litigation implications
At the moment the landlord has a duty to ensure that the installation and any supplied appliances do not present a danger of shock or injury to the tennant

It does not state how that duty shall be conformed with other than gtuidance on having these things checked at prescribed intervals
The local authority can issue standards of the electrics that they can enforce by restricting aproval to these landlords if they dont comply,but in the end the only restriction on the landlord is if something tragic occurs,they have to show that they did all that was recomended to ensure the safety of their tennant

The actual problems that you describe can only be gauged by a competent electrician reporting on the installation If the report showed present danger,the landlord would be a fool to say the least to allow the situation to continue after such a report
Some of the concerns that you describe do not seem to be related to safety rather to complying with current regs
It would be standard advise that for instance a 60/70s lighting circuit that was wired without a cpc(earth)should be rewired to protect for the use of metal (class 1) fittingsbut if it is not viable to do so for whatever reason, then the advise that yoiu suggest you were given about using only plastic fittings is correct
In a nutshell If you are concerned and the landlord is not co operative then the Periodic inspection report by the electrician will inform you of any present dangers,however it wont force the landlord to anything other than what he considers is his duties

Hi Des. Thanks. Some very good points. I understand about the legislation and landlords responsibilities. Hence my question at the beginning was am I safe?

One of my concerns is these metal power sockets with plastic bits at the holes. Are they ok to use?

Can someone tell me when 16th changed to 17th please?

i seem to recall that before you lease a property the consumer unit must be in line with current regs,anybody heard this and if so has this one been upgraded.

Reply to Tenant has questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock