Discuss Tenant keeps setting fire to house in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KevinS

Been to a job today who the tenant keeps setting fire to the house. The latest incident is where he tried to cook a hamburger in a pop up toaster. (He pee'd on a fan heater 2 weeks ago)
what is being asked for by his carers (and the fire brigade) are ways to stop him using his toaster, microwave and oven. They will be in his property but only used by the carers (who don't live there 24/7)
my plans were to put the microwave and toaster each hard wired into a switched fused spur, but these to be switched by a 20A d/p emergency light switch. (Follow me?) does this sound like a reasonable idea

they have suggested a lock off on the mcb to stop the oven being used, personally I don't think this is a very good idea
does anyone have a good idea that I can use for locking off the oven. (It's a combined electric oven and hob)

i know there is nothing to stop him buying another toaster and plugging it in elsewhere, but I can only do as I'm asked

Put standard double pole isolators in a cupboard and get a chippy into make a locked cupboard

I agree completely with this.

I was caring from my Mother who was an Alzeimer's sufferer & I can honestly tell you it was the hardest most soul-destroying job I've ever done. I was living with her as her Full Time Carer and it was really a relentless 24/7 grind.

I awoke one morning, went downstairs to the kitchen and found the melted remains of the plastic jug kettle on the gas hob.

It was then that I got into the habit of turning the gas off and locking it off and locking-off the MCB feeding the kitchen every night.

How about a seperated DB for the kitchen circuits where the supply tails run through a contactor that is controlled by an emergency stop button that is located in an unobstrusive position that can only be accessed/reset with a key. Then all people who have the authority to use the kitchen appliances will hold a key.

this job has got legal nightmare written all over it.
so by undertaking the electrical responsibility of trying to prevent this person from burning the place down with measures you install...........
well hes gonna torch the place eventually if they cant trust him alone with electricals.
wouldnt want my name on any certs if it go's pete tong.
just a thought.

Maybe fit 16A plugs or even European type schuko plugs to all the appliances and give the carers a travel adapter so only they can plug them in. Not sure if this would be possible with the stove though.....

hmm....lock & key supply eh..lol....as long as theres sommat at the C/U.....
well, how long do you give it before he starts taking `feeds` from the C/U to appliances he wants to use in flex....or whatever he might find hanging around?..lol....
sad thing here though is he obviously needs more care and attention to his needs than is currently being provided....
dispicable...and that really isn`t funny...lol..not...

The care sector is moving more and more towards the use of technology in order for people to live in their own homes safely without having to put up with carers 24/7.

I would think that as long as you make it clear that you are doing the work as requested, to reduce not eliminate risk, you should be fine.

If social services, or similar, are involved they should have a risk assessment in place and the work you are doing should be part of it.

I would, personally, want to be sure that not being able to use these appliances won't lead to a greater risk through frustration.

I.E damage to, or more inappropriate use of, appliances etc.

However having said all that someone else, not you, has done the risk assessment and decided this is the route to go down.

You would only be helping them implement it.

If this idea did not work then it would not be you at fault.

Hope this helps

How about a seperated DB for the kitchen circuits where the supply tails run through a contactor that is controlled by an emergency stop button that is located in an unobstrusive position that can only be accessed/reset with a key. Then all people who have the authority to use the kitchen appliances will hold a key.

thanks for this idea, as the kitchen is already on its own ring, but then I realised the fridge, freezer, washer etc would not work. Because the way the kicthen is wired, it would be hard to change. Buts thanks for the idea

Based on the fact that electricity travels a lot faster than pee, if he keeps piddling on his fan heater the problem's going to solve itself.

On a more serious note - The idea of 13A to commando adaptors, and putting commando plugs on the necessary appliances sounds like a simple and inspired solution to me. Just leaves you to put the cooker circuit through a padlockable isolator as you suggested.

Reply to Tenant keeps setting fire to house in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net