• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Terminal terminology! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

David Galvin

I am trying to replace some thermostats on a ceiling heating system, I think they are Honeywell T6060 units.
The terminals are designated as 20(4)A @ 240v.

I assume this means they are good for 20A load, BUT what does the (4) mean??

Any suggestions for modern replacement units that can carry these sorts of loads?

Thanks in antiscipation.

Terminal terminology! internal case - EletriciansForums.net

Terminal terminology! internal wirin - EletriciansForums.net

I believe the (4) signifies the reactive load capacity. I assume the ceiling heating system is probably resistive hence the 20A rating. I am not sure what thermostats are rated at 20Amp but consider a suitably rated contactor/relay and a lower capacity thermostat, perhaps an electronic one which can give other options such as timer and IP connectivity.

I believe the (4) signifies the reactive load capacity. I assume the ceiling heating system is probably resistive hence the 20A rating. I am not sure what thermostats are rated at 20Amp but consider a suitably rated contactor/relay and a lower capacity thermostat, perhaps an electronic one which can give other options such as timer and IP connectivity.

Could you reccomend or link to such an ip stat? Thanks

What's wrong with the old stats?

Modern mechanical thermostats still have a decent current rating around 16A usually, just check what the actual load these are required to switch is. The chances of them needing to switch 20A are somewhere between slim and nine I think.

There's no point getting any fancy electronic digital or whatever thermostat for electric ceiling heating as it's such an inefficient heap of junk you won't get any benefit.
To be honest I would always recommend that a customer consider replacing ceiling heating rather than wasting money repairing it.

Thanks Snowhead, thats a clear explanation that I had been looking for.

Regarding the thermostats, I am just looking for a more modern looking mech OR electronic version as the existing ones are a bit dated/tired.

Davesparks
Regarding the ceiling heating, we have been more than happy with it for nearly 25years.
NO radiators to leak, bleed or decorate around.
NO boiler taking up space and requiring servicing.
NO pipework to route and leak.

Agreed, its not for everyone, but for our open plan minimalist home its the perfect solution.
The house is well insulated, under and over floor levels (a requirement for these systems)
Its run overnight on E7 to provide a "storage" solution, additional daytime requirements topped up with a 1.5kw gas log effect balance flue.

You may consider the system to be inefficient.
However, based on:
Benefits to us as listed above,
Total electric/gas bill of £1,100ish/year for a 5bed detached property.
We are more than happy, so don't dismiss ceiling heating out of hand.

Thanks Snowhead, thats a clear explanation that I had been looking for.

Regarding the thermostats, I am just looking for a more modern looking mech OR electronic version as the existing ones are a bit dated/tired.

Davesparks
Regarding the ceiling heating, we have been more than happy with it for nearly 25years.
NO radiators to leak, bleed or decorate around.
NO boiler taking up space and requiring servicing.
NO pipework to route and leak.

Agreed, its not for everyone, but for our open plan minimalist home its the perfect solution.
The house is well insulated, under and over floor levels (a requirement for these systems)
Its run overnight on E7 to provide a "storage" solution, additional daytime requirements topped up with a 1.5kw gas log effect balance flue.

You may consider the system to be inefficient.
However, based on:
Benefits to us as listed above,
Total electric/gas bill of £1,100ish/year for a 5bed detached property.
We are more than happy, so don't dismiss ceiling heating out of hand.

I'd still want to know the cost of running an equivalent building with the same level of insulation with a more efficient system before judging it, I somehow doubt that ceiling heating will be the cheaper option.

But anyway, my point about digital electronic thermostats still stands for the system, it won't give any advantage other than looking fancy.

Reply to Terminal terminology! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back