Discuss Terminate SWA in Wiska or straight to Garage CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For what it’s worth. I have had a sparks round about this job but as I say it’s not what I was asking.
The forum suggested I’d get help with questions, which I have, so thank you all for your responses. Specifically those that answered my question.

I wasn’t unhappy with any response.

My question was specifically relating to the connection to the CU from outside.
Others asked more questions of me that don’t affect whether I go through the floor or through an external box. In answering those questions I expose my lack of knowledge and terminology.
And which point the thread goes off topic.

All my questions are relevant, as they affect the installation.
If you do not know the answers to them then you can either find out the answers or get someone in who can.

For what it’s worth. I have had a sparks round about this job but as I say it’s not what I was asking.

It's not that simple with electrics and people of the public requesting info. We have to look at all the factors when giving out info. You should be able to understand this.

It's not that simple with electrics and people of the public requesting info. We have to look at all the factors when giving out info. You should be able to understand this.
I completely understand.
Just don’t see how saying seek an electrician is a response.
That is my opinion.

To do what you propose involves a lot more than the questions you are asking. It is not off topic to include a reasoned judgement regards your own safety as that is intrinsic to being able to give you advice in a safe manner. I am concerned you probably will not do dead tests prior to commissioning the circuit and live test once you have. Do not expect anyone will compromise that by encouraging you to install in a dangerous way. When it is said get an electrician it is because you have made it abundantly clear you are dangerous to yourself and maybe more importantly, others.

To do what you propose involves a lot more than the questions you are asking. It is not off topic to include a reasoned judgement regards your own safety as that is intrinsic to being able to give you advice in a safe manner. I am concerned you probably will not do dead tests prior to commissioning the circuit and live test once you have. Do not expect anyone will compromise that by encouraging you to install in a dangerous way. When it is said get an electrician it is because you have made it abundantly clear you are dangerous to yourself and maybe more importantly, others.
That’s better. Not so generic.
I realise this involves more and is why my post was not titled “please provide a detailed plan on how to wire my garage”.
The problem I see across many forums is where someone is getting help with something and then suddenly, with no reasons or explanation someone chimes in with a blunt response.
It’s unhelpful and likely to discourage people getting the advice they need.
Besides it goes completely off topic. Which it’s fair to say this has.

Many many people read these forums looking for help without daring to post.
The irony here is anyone reading it wouldn’t know what about this thread is dangerous. Except of course, me.
To be fair there is too much information required to do what you require , cable sizing , cable protection , earthing arrangements and a whole lot more. To say you need an electrician is a fact, not an unfair comment.

You seem to be missing the vital point. I didn’t ask those questions.
I may be a mere DIY member of public, but an SWA connecting to a CU is exactly that. Yes there are tons of questions around the installation, but I didn’t ask them.
There will be an SWA and there will be a garage CU. And the garage is where this gets supplied to.
They are, and were, the only variables in my question.

You may may not have asked those questions but you must realise that you need to know how to do what you are proposing safely .
From your responses this does not seem to be the case.
You cannot blame us to be reluctant to give you any more information that would lead you into danger . That is my vital point.

What responses are dangerous? Not one person had said what they are referring to so no, I don’t understand. Neither will anyone reading this.

I asked what is best from the point of connecting to the garage from the SWA. That is the context.
:sweatsmile:

If you have 5 weeks to spare then you can get fully conversant with it all and ride off into the sunset with a part p logo stuck to your saddle
:tearsofjoy:
I barely have 5 mins spare. I’m only on here today cause I’m stuck on a train.
I would have loved to got on that course and become a fully pledged spark. But the course numbers weren’t there for the night course.
With kids and mrs who works nights and being stuck in my job as an IT consultant. I don’t see it changing.
Shame but it is what it is as they say.

I asked what is best from the point of connecting to the garage from the SWA. That is the context.

Unfortunately you can't simplify it this way. The more you try the more ignorant you sound about electricity and the regs.
I tried to help. I asked relevant questions regarding the install and yet you still don't answer them.
Again, there is more to it than just your question and the more this post goes on the less capable I think you are of doing the job.

Reply to Terminate SWA in Wiska or straight to Garage CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock