Discuss Terminating/blanking off 2 way switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I have two light switches literary opposite each other operating the same two lights, as a wall has been removed between them, meaning one of those switches is no longer used, is obsolete and has been behind a picture which covered up the issue. However I now wish to use a lightwave light switch, meaning one switch needs to be replaced with the light wave light switch but in order for this to work the other switch needs to be removed and blanked off so that it can operate as a one way two-gang switch.

Reading the lightwave instructions I'm comfortable that I could fix the lightwave light switch in place. I have fitted other ones and they are working correctly. However with this scenario there is one that needs blanket off and there are numerous wires in situ which I need to be aware how these are to be blocked off.

I have included a photograph of the lightwave switch, the wiring of where the lightwave switch is to be positioned and two pictures of the switch which needs to be blanked off, put simply, these ones have numerous wires on them.

I do know to ensure safety, and although I don't have any electricial training I believe that I would be able to do this with the advice from a professional electrician. I would like to be able to do this myself with this assistance as it offers a personal achievement.

Any clear detailed advice to make this a one way 2 gang, working lightwave switch would be appreciated.

20190105_131058.jpg

20190105_130709.jpg

20190105_130727.jpg

20190105_130828.jpg

The chances of someone from a distance on here taking a risk and telling you what to disconnect/reconnect for that to either work or not work are pretty remote. The forum also has a policy not to give step by step advice for those who have no electrical competence.

Been a while since I've popped on here and posted but couldn't help but notice this one.

So if I'm not wrong, you have 2no light switches that operate as a 2 way. One or both of them are 2 gang? One light switch is no longer used and is hidden behind a picture so essentially you are using one light switch as a one way. Why not just swap the switch and continue using as a one way? Or is this something to do with the Lightwave switch? I'm more heavy industrial these days and all this gadgetry wireless stuff is new to me I'm afraid

Been a while since I've popped on here and posted but couldn't help but notice this one.

So if I'm not wrong, you have 2no light switches that operate as a 2 way. One or both of them are 2 gang? One light switch is no longer used and is hidden behind a picture so essentially you are using one light switch as a one way. Why not just swap the switch and continue using as a one way? Or is this something to do with the Lightwave switch? I'm more heavy industrial these days and all this gadgetry wireless stuff is new to me I'm afraid
Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is exactly it.
The new wifi light switch cannot be linked up to the old switch. Technicalities of why I don't know, just that it won't work, will damage the wifi lightwave switch and is not to be done.

I can work out how to wire up the lightwave switch even though my house was rewired in the old colours in 2004 (which I am now a bit disappointed about, but that is an issue that will be dealt with again in time via a qualified electrician).

Otherwise I would have just kept it as is, just replaced the one switch.

I am researching how to blank it off. I am wondering if I used blocks and followed with the same coding as is if that would work.

I want the satisfaction of completing it myself, but of course I know I need to do it safely. That was the main aspect of it, as later in the year likely will be having an electrician in to do lots of things. Sometimes you just need an accomplishment and this for me is that little challenge and puzzle I would like to successfully and of course safely solve.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is exactly it.
The new wifi light switch cannot be linked up to the old switch. Technicalities of why I don't know, just that it won't work, will damage the wifi lightwave switch and is not to be done.

I can work out how to wire up the lightwave switch even though my house was rewired in the old colours in 2004 (which I am now a bit disappointed about, but that is an issue that will be dealt with again in time via a qualified electrician).

I am researching how to blank it off. I am wondering if I used blocks and followed with the same coding as is if that would work.

I want the satisfaction of completing it myself, but of course I know I need to do it safely. That was the main aspect of it, as later in the year likely will be having an electrician in to do lots of things. Sometimes you just need an accomplishment and this for me is that little challenge and puzzle I would like to successfully and of course safely solve.

Oh and both 2 gang operating 2 way currently, one a dimmer, one standard.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is exactly it.

As I previously stated we cannot give step by step advice to a non competent person. The fly in the ointment is the two blacks floating on the block connector as that seems a bit non conventional for what we call three plate wiring assuming that is the installation method.

Didn't see the blacks but never really looked at the pic if I'm honest. Neutrals perhaps looped in/out of switch?
The lower switch is connected as expected but the upper is two T&Es with the reds across L1 and L2 with the blacks connected together.

I will show it to my tutor when im back at college next week, that's far more than basic electrics. I may even have to arrange for a viewing to advise, so that I can complete the task.

Brass sockets are OK in an English Heritage property. Anyone else who has them should be imprisoned for up to 2 years and have to sign some sort of register
You should only be able to see them or to get close to them by being a National Trust cardholder/member.

To be fair that looks like it would need working out properly by a professional on site, needn't cost a fortune but it could take up to two hours IMO.
Thanks, i will speak with my college tutor and if I cannot get the advice I need to resolve when im back at college, i can arrange for a site visit from my tutor to assist with the task.

Looking at the wiring configuration of the first switch, it may just be a case of not connecting the 2 x 3 core cables that link the 2 switches in the switch with the most cables ,but still may be advisable to get someone to test to prove functionality of each cable

Reply to Terminating/blanking off 2 way switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net