Pete's Videos Terminating MICC

Discuss Terminating MICC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am surprised he didn't have the tool that crimps the pot in to stop the black plastic bit falling out again

I am surprised he didn't have the tool that crimps the pot in to stop the black plastic bit falling out again
I disagree with the method of installing the seal and the compound, always told to fit the seal plastic temporarily to align the conductors, lift it away from the pot, and then fill with compound, but I suppose matey learnt to do it this way, probably knows no better.

Yeah, I think balance the workmate on the top step would be the best, holding onto it with one hand.:eek:

Re the seal, same here Pete fit it over the ends then pull off to the check the cores.

The first M.I I did had beads that went into the end of the sleeve to stop it pulling through the seal, which I'm sure was bakerlite.

When you pushed the seal down the cores spread and separated because of the beads.
It was only when they brought out the seal type in the video that you had to check the cores.

There was another type where the sleeve had an end preformed to mimic the bead.

I disagree with the method of installing the seal and the compound, always told to fit the seal plastic temporarily to align the conductors, lift it away from the pot, and then fill with compound, but I suppose matey learnt to do it this way, probably knows no better.

Yes I agree, and I'd have tested it before filling with compound too, it's a bit late to find out you've got a problem after it's been filled and sealed!

How about posting a youtube vid on how it should be done. Everyday a learning day.

Test when the pot goes on visually and with a meter, align conductors with seal lift seal fill with compound press seal down if it's not right lift add more compound test then crimp.

Never had one fail in my time.

He didn’t mention doing an IR test before filling with compound, or about heating the cable to remove moisture.
You don't really need to test before filling, though it will show silly things like direct shorts, and although I do heat cables witch have had long term moisture ingress it really isn't needed in most normal cases, even when the cable has been stored unsealed, stripping the cable usually removes the damp which in modern MI is absorbed very slowly.

Fit the seals to both ends, give a quick insulation test, as long as it is at least in the the 10s of Mohms and the seals have been fitted properly it will likely be good. Insulation test after 24-48 hours to confirm and you will find the insulation resistance will have increased to 'infinity'. If it hasn't, either a seal has been poorly fitted or the cable has pinholed or has other damage. A bad seal can be found by insulation testing and applying gentle heat to the cable where it enters the pot, the reading will change when a bad seal is heated. Of course for new cable the readings would normally be very high immediately.

To prove this to an apprentice I recently took a 3m length of old unsealed cable that I had pulled out of somewhere and I had stored in the garden shed. I stripped 6" of sheath off of each end and fitted the pots. The first insulation tests gave readings of 17Mohm between conductors and sheath and about 24 Mohm between conductors. Testing again 2 days later and the readings were >2000 Mohms for all tests, including testing at 1000V. I did something similar making an MI pendant set 4 years ago, the readings are still >2000Mohms today, after starting fairly low.
Terminating MICC 20190202_010537 - EletriciansForums.net

MICC is an amazing and incredibly robust wiring system, I use it whenever I can.

Reply to Terminating MICC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock