Discuss Terminology help - Light Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want to replace light switches in my living room.

There's 2 x double switches.

1 Controls 2 separate lights in the living room.

The other controls one of the SAME lights, and outside light.

I can replace the switch, but I need to know if terminology has changed. The switches have six terminals. L1, L2 and L3, then repeated underneath.

All the new switches I look at seem to be marked differently. Can anyone say what terminal names I should be looking at as a comparison?

Tried to upload a picture but it's got a small limit on. IMG-20230501-140755 hosted at ImgBB - https://ibb.co/L0cPvQ8

I want to replace light switches in my living room.

There's 2 x double switches.

1 Controls 2 separate lights in the living room.

The other controls one of the SAME lights, and outside light.

I can replace the switch, but I need to know if terminology has changed. The switches have six terminals. L1, L2 and L3, then repeated underneath.

All the new switches I look at seem to be marked differently. Can anyone say what terminal names I should be looking at as a comparison?

Tried to upload a picture but it's got a small limit on. IMG-20230501-140755 hosted at ImgBB - https://ibb.co/L0cPvQ8
COM L1 L2

L1 being the common in the 2 gang 2 way that you have.

Thanks, just so I'm clear...

I can 'copy' all the connections over, but just treat COM1 as L3?

Your new switch will most probably be marked COM, L1 and L2

COM = your L1
L1 = your L2
L2 = your L3

Your switch is wired for 2 way on the one side and single on the other.

Looking at the amazon product there, the Common of first switch is marked as La, with L1 and L2 as La1 and La2.... The second switch is marked Lc, Lc1, Lc2 (Com,L1,L2)
The plastic moulding of the back of the switch also has Lb,Lb1,Lb2 for a third middle switch that isnt fitted. Must be the same design of switch back for 1,2 or 3 gang switches.

Be wary of any products from amazon or other online marketplace.
On the amazon description of the product, i do not see a CE mark, any BS or EN numbers which would give some confidence in its quality.

The 4th reviewer doesn't seem too happy about it.

Reactions: DPG
It is CE marked, although having a CE mark is by no means a sign of quality.

Reply to Terminology help - Light Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net