Discuss Terrible design in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
Not specific to industry. But in a factory I sometime do work for, they have a line that is 300m long and they want welding sockets 32amp 5pin along the length of it. Ok. The cable they have bought for the job is 6mm 5 core. I politely declined the job and suggested calculating the size of cable required of get the shift sparkies to do it. Keeping in mind the place employs 10 tradesmen and 3 apprentices and have 2 supervisors. Impressive.

Not specific to industry. But in a factory I sometime do work for, they have a line that is 300m long and they want welding sockets 32amp 5pin along the length of it. Ok. The cable they have bought for the job is 6mm 5 core. I politely declined the job and suggested calculating the size of cable required of get the shift sparkies to do it. Keeping in mind the place employs 10 tradesmen and 3 apprentices and have 2 supervisors. Impressive.
Wallace I don’t know what size wire they give you but I’ve done the same job for another customer and I’m not guessing you thought the wire was to small but they know that at the most there might be 2 in use but not during production. The are AHJ and they get what want

Wallace I don’t know what size wire they give you but I’ve done the same job for another customer and I’m not guessing you thought the wire was to small but they know that at the most there might be 2 in use but not during production. The are AHJ and they get what want

Megawatt, there is no AHJ in the UK. The electrician installing the circuit takes responsibility for it when they sign the installation certificates.

you do not say if its a radial or separate circuits in 6mm in my opinion I would not install same as
Sure is different between us, y’all have paperwork to sign off on. We go uptown fill out our modifications or adding to the structure, and when we’re done we call for a final inspection uptown and then code enforcement shows up and inspects our work and he’s the one that has to sign off on the project not us

Sure is different between us, y’all have paperwork to sign off on. We go uptown fill out our modifications or adding to the structure, and when we’re done we call for a final inspection uptown and then code enforcement shows up and inspects our work and he’s the one that has to sign off on the project not us

Who does the cable size calculations etc? Does the inspector check the design work before you start installing?
Does the inspector do any testing before signing off, or do they only insect?

Who does the cable size calculations etc? Does the inspector check the design work before you start installing?
Does the inspector do any testing before signing off, or do they only insect?
Dave I do all the cable size calculations, plus conduit, the over current protection. I do my own final check and address any issues that I might have missed. Then I call for a final inspection. The paper I have to fill to draw the permit, the inspectors know what amperage and circuitry I’m dealing. No they don’t test nothing.
[automerge]1567203109[/automerge]
Dave I do all the cable size calculations, plus conduit, the over current protection. I do my own final check and address any issues that I might have missed. Then I call for a final inspection. The paper I have to fill to draw the permit, the inspectors know what amperage and circuitry I’m dealing. No they don’t test nothing.
Dave in the places I have worked in my lifetime especially in plants, they say they want to add, let’s say a 50 hp motor, 4 automatic valves here, etc. I’ve about had to do my homework and design everything like starter size for the motor, etc.and make it happen

Last edited:
it was going to be three separate cables for 3 circuits, at 100, 200 and 300m. Load would be a local 110v transformer to run a 9 inch grinder and 415 32 amp socket for a welder, not sure of the load on that.

Reply to Terrible design in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock