Discuss Terrible kitchen install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stuarth

-
Arms
Reaction score
Went to do a report on a kitchen install this morning and it was bad from start to finish, badly fitted units, not installed to the plan, badly tiled floor etc
on the electrics the electrician apparently dose not carry a spirit level
Terrible kitchen install IMG_2016.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

but the thing that worries me is the 16 amp oven wired into a 40amp switch straight back to a 32amp mcb won't the oven flex be rated to 16amps there for a fire risk when its on a 32amp mcb under fault?

Ovens are generally fixed loads, so do not need overload protection. Is the oven radial a 32A on a 6mm cable? The size of the connecting cable between cooker connection & oven, needs to take account of the manufactures instructions, or sized suitable for the ovens max load.

I suspect the tiler might be partially responsible, for the squiffy sockets.

I am going back next week to sort out the kitchen stuff and see if the sockets might come back in line but they are so far out I don't think its the tiler on this occasion.
I was not surveying the electrics its just what the customer told me ref the oven, he also mentioned the oven kept tripping out until the spark came back and removed the 13amp plug and hardwired it in. I have not touched anything electrical but assuming the oven is on 6mm until I go back and check it, the question I have is won't the oven flex be rated at 16amps?

As said, the connecting 'flex' should have a suitable ccc for the max load of the oven, or whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Edit; Its always a challenge to line up so many faceplates, in one place. I use Home - http://www.spacerconnect.com/index.php/en/, even then, if the back box is not parallel with the finished surface, they can still be out of line. I use a laser level, to try and ensure they are level.

Last edited:
As already stated the flex will be sized by the manufacturer to cope with the oven load, the existing circuit theoretically can't be overloaded as it's fixed so the MCB will be fine for short circuit protection, of course depending on the installation method it should also be RCD protected and also check the Zs to ensure disconnection times will be met under fault conditions.

coupled with:
Terrible kitchen install {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

and this:
Terrible kitchen install {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If the oven incorporates a fan and other gizmos then it is not a fixed resistive electrical load. You need to consider also the cords capacity to carry fault current.

If the oven incorporates a fan and other gizmos then it is not a fixed resistive electrical load. You need to consider also the cords capacity to carry fault current.
might not be fixed as in it's variable, but it does have a finite max. load, so can be considered as fixed.

But in the event of a short circuit fault there will be very little difference in disconnection time between a B16 and B32. Having said that I'd probably put that circuit on a 16 or 20a MCB- unless the cooker isolator had a socket on it.

Reply to Terrible kitchen install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock