Discuss Test equipment necessary? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We're getting conflicting views on whether we need specific charger test equipment for EV charger installations in homes and it's very frustrating.

Some manufacturers, like ROLEC, say you must have it to be certified whereas most others say its good to have but not necessary. Our NICEIC contact says we need them but there's no requirement in the 18 Edition.

I have spoken to a few installers, most of which don't bother with test equipment but having a definitive answer seems impossible.

Thoughts?

Do we test an appliance after plugging it in? Maybe just a quick functional but nothing requiring test equipment as such.

Manufacturers must supply working and safe equipment fit for purpose so technically we shouldn't have to test. Only the circuit we have installed or connected to.

Sounds like manufacturers are just trying to cash in...

I know @ArtElectrics has a specific unit for testing EV chargers (Rolec EV EV Charging Unit Tester EVTU0018).

The sales blurb details:

This unique unit is designed to carry out a full range of tests on all 3.6kW (16A) and 7.2kW (32A) single phase, Mode 3, J1772 (Type 1) and IEC 62196 (Type 2) EV charging points
  • Simulates an electric vehicle
  • Simulates and tests IEC 61851-1 Mode 3 communication compliance
  • Tests J1772 (Type 1) charging points
  • Tests IEC 62196 (Type 2) charging points
  • Tests for correct Live – Neutral – Earth polarity
  • Provides test socket for Earth loop impedance test
  • Provides test socket for RCD / RCBO trip time and sensitivity test

Datasheet: https://pdg.cef.co.uk/downloads/pdg/rolec_evtu0018_datasheet/rolec_evtu0018_datasheet.pdf

Do we test an appliance after plugging it in? Maybe just a quick functional but nothing requiring test equipment as such.

Manufacturers must supply working and safe equipment fit for purpose so technically we shouldn't have to test. Only the circuit we have installed or connected to.

Sounds like manufacturers are just trying to cash in...

Well that's my view too.

Problem is, bodies like NICIEC and NAPIT say you should have them and, the way they word it, it is as if they are mandatory for all installs but they are not according to the 18th.

Finding one to say it's nice to have and no essential is a nightmare!
[automerge]1594303424[/automerge]
I know @ArtElectrics has a specific unit for testing EV chargers (Rolec EV EV Charging Unit Tester EVTU0018).

Yep, but that's £400 for something that I do not believe is necessary

If you don’t have a test unit how do you verify the internal RCD is working, loop test and functionality etc. I’m guessing it would come back to MI stating what you should do. I’m pretty sure Zappi and podpoint require it. Buy the tester you want don’t be dictated by rolec to buy theirs.

If you don’t have a test unit how do you verify the internal RCD is working, loop test and functionality etc. I’m guessing it would come back to MI stating what you should do. I’m pretty sure Zappi and podpoint require it. Buy the tester you want don’t be dictated by rolec to buy theirs.
I only mentioned Rolecs having seen it on videos, I believe Metrel do one, not sure if Megger/Fluke et all have done one yet?

I only mentioned Rolecs having seen it on videos, I believe Metrel do one, not sure if Megger/Fluke et all have done one yet?
Megger have an adaptor due to come out a number of months ago, but it has been delayed - presumably due to COVID-19. Not sure when it is expected to be released now. It can be used in conjunction with the MFT1741+.

I haven't gone ahead with ROLEC approval as I believe that it is unjustified and unjustifiable for them to insist that you use their ChargeCheck equipment instead of a suitable alternative (e.g. Metrel or the soon-to-be-released Megger one).

I haven't gone ahead with ROLEC approval as I believe that it is unjustified and unjustifiable for them to insist that you use their ChargeCheck equipment instead of a suitable alternative (e.g. Metrel or the soon-to-be-released Megger one).

Same for us. We don't use them on other chargers. They didn't help themselves by insisting all their charger courses have to be done at their offices up in the Midlands or somewhere.

Reply to Test equipment necessary? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net