Discuss Test Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hpmuk

-
Reaction score
Hi All

Quick questions on test results

With Continuity tests i know R1 + R2 results depends on the length of run & size of cable..

When testing it cant be more than a certain figure depending on cable size and breaker size.

How would i know the maximum readings should be? Im guessing on site guide but couldn't find it?

If this is correct do we know a page??

Cheers in advance

Luke

pp 100 - 104 red osg. a blind monkey could have found that in less than a minute.

Your maximum permitted R1&R2 would theoretically be the maximum permitted Zs of the circuit, minus the external earth fault loop impedance.

So, R1&R2 = Zs - Ze.

However these give you a worst case scenario approach which will not be accurate.

Alternatively, you can obtain the design information to establish the circuit length, then you could more accuraely calculate the expected measured R1&R2 values.

So are you looking for calculating Zs or R1&R2?

Your question now appears to make no sense.

Hi All

Quick questions on test results

With Continuity tests i know R1 + R2 results depends on the length of run & size of cable..

When testing it cant be more than a certain figure depending on cable size and breaker size.

How would i know the maximum readings should be? Im guessing on site guide but couldn't find it?

If this is correct do we know a page??

Cheers in advance

Luke
Student? If yes Then please state this when asking questions. we do not do students homework on this forum !
Advice if genuine however is free, and if we have given advice do feel free to hit the THANKS button

OK, Luke, we are looking to have an EFLI low enough to trip the circuit's MCB/fuse within the BS7671 specified time. ( generally 0.4 secs. for circuits up to 32A.)
this EFLI ( max, ) is found in tables in the bgb, with temperature corrected figures in osg. ( the theory behind this is basically ohms law. the lower the impedance, the larger the fault current. the larger the current, the quicker the MCB/fuse will break ). this figure is Zs. which is composed of Ze + (R1+R2). Zeis obtained either by enquiry or measurement, then when you take that from Zs, you get a max. value for your R1+R2.

Reply to Test Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock