Discuss Testers failed calibration but perplexed now :-( in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

plugsandsparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My MFT failed calibration on some insulations resistance measurements but i am a little confused. I used a different more local calibrater as i needed the least downtime but his certificate is very different from the manufacturers one that was done before (now i have had time to compare side by side)

Basically my tester has failed 4 tests (one on 500V range and three 1000V range) of these 4, 3 readings are at a different much higher resistance tests than the manufacturer used before.

The only reading that is of comparison that failed is in the 1000V range and was marginal

So if i return it to the manufacturer i can see it simply being returned without needing anything doing.

Question: do i go back to calibrater and ask why has he tested at settings different from manufacturer (and harder to be accurate test modes)
Or do i send it back to manufacturer and just get it "done" ( i think i have been anyway)

Do i carry on regardless as the areas it has failed "1000V" range is not exactly used alot (at all really)
and the one on the 500V range is nothing that would make any difference to anything an electrican needs to measure on cable - however my tester has a new sticker saying calibration due august 2013 with fail written by hand in pink..... puzzled.

What do you think guys - always used manufacturer before and it just comes back OK.... this is new territory.

If you’ve sent it for calibration I would expect the test house to make any adjustments to bring it in to accepted range.

I used Dowding and Mills when I was working, (the company paid).

Did they even attempt to get it within range?
As Tony says, that's the whole purpose of calibration, to bring the instrument within limits! Not just test it!

If they've attempted to calibrate it and can't, it is probably in need of repair.
Get back to your so-called calibrators.

I was open mouthed when they told me, i did say "how can it fail calibration" and i did ask say to them " I thought you just made an internal adjustment" but they said no they dont do that, but did put in fresh batteries.
Going to ring Kewtech tommorow and see what they say.
Need the tester all week, then go on hols.

I was open mouthed when they told me, i did say "how can it fail calibration" and i did ask say to them " I thought you just made an internal adjustment" but they said no they dont do that, but did put in fresh batteries. Wuppee frigging do!
Going to ring Kewtech tommorow and see what they say. Good idea.
Need the tester all week, then go on hols.

Hope you get sorted.
Let us know what Kewtech say.

methinks you have picked the wrong calibration firm.

Not happy about stating test house at the moment as i am slightly embarrassed about my expectations that it would come back "sorted" and i need answer to e.g.

IR on 500V - applied values were 1M, 10M, 50M, 100M, 500M and 1000M, the one which it failed on was 1000M were it read 653M.

However last calibration done by Kewtech on 500V setting was 1M, 10M and 100M

quite frankly i dont give a monkeys about anything over 100M, think they are trying to be too clever.

Its the same story on 1000V setting, applied value 1M, 10M, 100M, 500M and 1000M
readings were 1.00M, 9.88M, 93.7M (fail), 452M (fail) and 620M (fail)

I have checked the specs of the tester and its claims of accuracy and this testing house is doing it literally by the book but them why does the manufacturer not do the same and why have a tester trying to accurately measure stuff like a 1000M
FFS

Anyway will talk to Kewtech in morning and report back

strange, because most testers have a max of either 199meg or 299 meg. anything over is a >---

My Metrel reads >1999 Meg. I thought the whole point of a calibration is to make sure that the meter reads correctly within tolerances. If that means adjusting the instrument then so be it

Mines KT65 auto ranging 20/200/2000 so its actually claiming this level of accuracy.
However even last job i did was still getting >1999 on 500V and a really long cable run almost got it down to 1700M

I would be tempted to ask the "calibration company" what they would charge you to fix it. If they give you a price, then they're trying it on!! If it's capable of being fixed they should have already done it for what you've paid (unless they're own T's n C's say otherwise, but that would be unusual).

I would be tempted to ask the "calibration company" what they would charge you to fix it. If they give you a price, then they're trying it on!! If it's capable of being fixed they should have already done it for what you've paid (unless they're own T's n C's say otherwise, but that would be unusual).

Yes I agree with that , after all you have sent it for calibration not a check, you could have done that on your check box if that was the case.

calibrate (k l -br t ) 1. To check, adjust, or standardize a measuring instrument, usually by comparing it with an accepted model.

is there a certain standard for calibration ukas or something is it worth checking to see if they registered and maybe check ukas to see what standards are required for calibration

Yeap there are national regulations and manufacturer test standards that test houses have to fulfil.

Good news, spoke to Kewtech this morning, they arranged for me to take it in, drove to Donny, had breakfast and returned to new calibration cert showing all good.
Tester was OK, you just needed to hold the button down for the readings to stablise on the higher IR ones, i do that as a matter of course but looks like the calibration firm recorded the first reading to come up rather than wait for it to stablise. The engineer gave me a demo of what was going on.
Have to say Kewtech were brilliant, second time in 2 years i have been there in distress and left both times fully fed and happy.
No charge was raised, the manufacturer and calibration company were in contact with each other and i have left them to resolve these types of issues.
So happy again

Reply to Testers failed calibration but perplexed now :-( in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock