Discuss Testers for Homeowners (e.g. non professionals) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi - Sometimes a normal person would need to check and test their electrical connections. There are testers which claim to help do this job - my question is are they OK to use as a starting point to figuring if there is a problem in the first place? e.g. socket earth wire not connected which can be quickly tested with the socket tester

Here's one I purchased recently from Amazon that helped me find a socket which did not have its earth wire connected which I thought was a good use of the tester. Tester on Amazon

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Things like this can be useful but only really scratch the surface of testing the condition of a circuit.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - Sometimes a normal person would need to check and test their electrical connections. There are testers which claim to help do this job - my question is are they OK to use as a starting point to figuring if there is a problem in the first place? e.g. socket earth wire not connected which can be quickly tested with the socket tester

Here's one I purchased recently from Amazon that helped me find a socket which did not have its earth wire connected which I thought was a good use of the tester. Tester on Amazon

View attachment 49921
useful as you describe but as Andy said, limited. e.g. they won't detect a N-E reversal. but end of the day, a useful DIY tool. we all carry one in addition to "proper" test gear. main use we find is checking which sockets are fed by each MCB without the encumbrance of a Megger.

T

The Ghost

What is it you are trying to achieve with these testers? Are you regularly using them? Just diying or more at home or elsewhere???

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Testers for Homeowners (e.g. non professionals) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom