Discuss Testing a flood damaged property, usual process? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S P

-
Reaction score
Good evening all, I hope everyone has been enjoying the long weekend!

I have been asked by a surveyor client of mine to inspect, test and provide a detailed recommendation report on a property that has just been converted into two high spec apartments and while on the market suffered a leak to the sprinkler system which went un-notice for 2-3 days causing considerable damage.

Initially I thought this is a little out of my comfort zone, but have now come up with a plan and wanted to find out from others who may have experience of this kind of work.

What tests would you carry out?
What information would you include in report?
What would be your typical recommendations?
Would you add a note to protect you from future liability, i.e. item fine when tested but not liable for future premature failure..?

At the moment I'm thinking of suggesting the following:
Request a copy of the electrical drawings which should be available on a project as this completed recently.
Carry out 100% internal inspection of accessories and terminations (or agreed percentage excluding areas unlikely to be affect)
Then mark on the drawings each point - pass, fail or questionable.
For the appliances, carry out PAT testing.
Function test everything (excluding visually damaged)

I doubt it's worth carrying out circuit test?
I would have thought I'd recommend all connections to be re-made?

I would add a note to state - equipment and accessories fine at the time of testing however no liability for reduced product lifespan. Also consider product warranties may be invalid after flood damage.

What do you think?
Thank you

Was this leak from upstairs to down? Or was it just ground floor? The thing that would worry me about it was the fact that water is very insidious in that it can pool inside a cavity or something and find it's way down later to electrical points. I agree with the 100% inspection of all points sockets spurs lights roses etc. I think I would do all tests as an EICR as a reference point. I can't see how you could safely legally state the condition without a full set of tests as per GN3. I agree with the disclaimer regards any trapped water finding its way to electrical fittings maybe later. I would contact manufacturers as to their view in such conditions regards the safety of their product and include it in my report as a matter of due diligence. The one nagging doubt would be junction boxes under the floor etc. I might mention those as a possible need to replace dependant on tests.

I’m currently in the middle of the same thing. Basically, if you say it needs replaced, the insurance will cover it.
The cables themselves will be fine, unless there’s obvious heat damage if something was still energised during the flood.
Any electronics will be wasted. Smoke detectors, heating programmers, etc.
The metal back boxes may have rust spots which can get worse over time.
On my job everything has been replaced including the db. Although I did say they could leave the plastic box and replace all the breakers, they went with a new board.

Thanks Vortigern.

The leak was from the loft cascading all the way down.

Very interesting what you say about trapped water then finding it's way down over time.
I have not visited the property yet, but the surveyor has already stated all the ceilings and walls will be stripped and re-newed and many of the doors which gives some indication to the extent of the damage.

I agree all JB's should be inspected, that was always my intention. Lucky this has been recently rewired so should not contain any hidden/Inaccessible JB'S.

I take your view on a full EICR on board and happy to carry this out, just question if this is really helpful when the damage will likely affect equipment/accessories over the actual cabling?

Thanks Littlespark

I assumed the smokes. What about LED lamps?
The also have ceiling speakers, led strips and some form of home automation system.

What kind of report did you produce?
Did you bother with a EICR?
So you recommend a wholesale renewal then?

Full EICR but I doubt you will get a true picture of damage to the electrics or the appliances

FWIW I did an EICR on a flooded house 5 years ago .......... the incoming water main had split in the loft and gone unnoticed for a few days as the house was empty....

The IR results were so bad I turned the mains off at the CU..........

We went on to buy the house a year later - the water damage in the property was so bad we had t strip out all the insides - all floors, ceilings and all the plasterboard ...

Oh yeh seeing that (EDIT: thought that was your pic. but it's @buzzlightyears) and what you say a detailed report will consist of "A full re-wire recommended" end. Better get in quick. I bet the people who put in the sprinkler system are already buying tickets to a non extraditable country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t need to do an EICR. The main contractor just agreed everything had to come out apart from cables
What I did find was damaged cables from the clean up crew ripping ceilings down. They had to be replaced.
Yes LED lamps will likely be damaged too. You may find that they work, but you can’t tell how long they last.

I didn’t need to do an EICR. The main contractor just agreed everything had to come out apart from cables
What I did find was damaged cables from the clean up crew ripping ceilings down. They had to be replaced.
Yes LED lamps will likely be damaged too. You may find that they work, but you can’t tell how long they last.

exactly my thinking behind the disclaimer - fine now but who knows how long for... probably not the rated 25- 50,000 hrs!

If it's an insurance claim replace all accessories that have evidence of being wet such as switches, sockets, smoke alarms, speakers and light fittings. If the DB was flooded replace all circuit breakers. Wiring should be fine if pvc singles or cable.

If it's a friend with no insurance dismantle all accessories to expose, blow out with a portable air compressor until IR results suggest RCD will hold and reassemble. Global IR and power up. Run heaters and/or dehumidifiers for a few days.

if this is really helpful when the damage will likely affect equipment/accessories over the actual cabling
Well yes that is a point. However how else can we verify an installation and put our name on it. If the walls etc. are off it is not a big deal to replace cable so maybe a rewire. I expect this is where your judgement comes in as the man on the job and how bad/easy it is for any given solution.

Hope it wasn't you GUILTY@buzzlightyear that put those cables in the joists and didn't follow building regs?
Testing a flood damaged property, usual process? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
guilty .

Thinking about it you could avoid disclaimer by re-wiring and engender more confidence without the disclaimer. If you have any doubt then why do it that way? I think also humour aside the report would be more verbose as people want to know why you are recommending a full re-wire. Tests and inspection which is usually the larger part would confirm the need and justify recommendations.

You couldn’t second guess the outcome of any EICR .....

Your recommendation could simply be a retest once the house has dried out .....

Insurance companies won't pay for a blanket rewire for flooded premises in this neck of the woods. Last time I quoted for this their loss adjuster refused point blank but in doing so the responsibility for future wiring issues became his and not mine.

I'm being asked to report by the surveyor.
I presume the reason he hasn't asked the original contractor is for third party independent views.. Therefore I doubt I would be able to benefit from the works recommend, although it is my plan to try.
I still fell re-wire is extreme.

Vortigern, "if the walls etc. are off it is not a big deal to replace cable so maybe a rewire."
I disagree, on this level of spec it is a considerable cost difference if not necessary.

Reply to Testing a flood damaged property, usual process? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock