Discuss Testing a new Switched CCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first post here.

I am a level 3 student, confident and competent.

I have a job this afternoon that they have requested a minor works certificate for.

I am only replacing an existing FCU for a switched FCU.

I know all test procedures correctly and I have a brand new kewtech kt63dl with a calibration certificate.

My question is though, what tests would you carry out for this?

I'm thinking, along with the Zs at DB and PFC, RCD tests and functional test, should I firstly carry out the correct procedures for ring final testing, and then secondly what tests would I carry out on the FCU?

Thanks in advanced

Dean.

(It is also the first minor works certificate I am competing and hoping it may contribute to the NVQ I am awaiting to enrol in).

look at your blank MWC. see what it asks for. usually, Zs and RCD test/s. might want IR also. i would alsoo test end-end of a RFCbut not necessarily write it into the MWC.

Thanks mate.

Was thinking doing all the above,
But wasn't sure
Wasn't sure what extent you would go to. So would you advise that no matter the minor work you still carry out ALL tests the MWC are asking results for?

Such a headache,
Such a headache on what quals to go for next!!
I want the best qualifications behind me but I also want to be legal in domestic ASAP but don't want any mikey mouse courses already done 3 years at college for level 2 and 3.

nvq next then, but you need to be working in the trade to get a portfolio done.

Hi all,
My first post here.

I am a level 3 student, confident and competent.

I have a job this afternoon that they have requested a minor works certificate for.

I am only replacing an existing FCU for a switched FCU.

I know all test procedures correctly and I have a brand new kewtech kt63dl with a calibration certificate.

My question is though, what tests would you carry out for this?

I'm thinking, along with the Zs at DB and PFC, RCD tests and functional test, should I firstly carry out the correct procedures for ring final testing, and then secondly what tests would I carry out on the FCU?

Thanks in advanced

Dean.

(It is also the first minor works certificate I am competing and hoping it may contribute to the NVQ I am awaiting to enrol in).
Document suitability of the existing installation to handle thr proposed works (132.16) as part of your RAMS and then carry out the full suite of tests per CRIPPLER so you can verify the ring circuit and the conductors that make it the existing installation.

Document your design process (Ib, In, Iz, volt drop, zs calc etc.(Regulation group 132 give some headers

Once you have verified the ring then you'd just test the cabling for the spur off the ring (continuity, end to end read, IR, PEFC/PSSC at end of line (more a BS7909 measure to ensure sufficient current can flow at end of REALLY big circuits), Zs and an RCD test.

Some would just do an IR & Zs and be happy with that but as you're wanting to use for portfolio I'd go for thr full test sequence so that a) you're showing 'best practice' and b) you demonstrate understanding of each step of thr process and why its important.

Get pictures for EVERYTHING as an individual step may be able to tick off an item in the NVQ; RAMS, design, safe isolation, installation skills, testing, user O&M manual (something to give to the client that details thr who what when why where and how in relation to thier new (as far as the circuit is concerned) addition.

I'm sure others will chip in with more.

Get pictures for EVERYTHING as an individual step may be able to tick off an item in the...
On every job you do, take some photos before you start and as you go on! (Your phone will time-stamp them so you have that even without trying).

Enormously helpful if you forget something, can reassure the customers that you actually did check something and useful if any disputes about what was needing done and/or replaced that was not part of an original quote.

nvq next then, but you need to be working in the trade to get a portfolio done.
Yeah, major head ache!

I currently own a security systems company. Been installing alarms since I was 14 I am now 32. Along with cctv access control etc,
So working for myself will be tricky with an NVQ however I know a few sparks that will hopefully let me jump on the odd job for nvq purposes!

If you’re replacing like-for-like, then technically it comes under repair and maintenance… no need for a MWC…. However, any practice in testing is an advantage in the long run.
Yes mate, I'm doing this for another security systems installer I know and he has contracts with housing associations and told me they require it! Don't mind and not going to argue when he said there's around 20 a month to do for him.

On every job you do, take some photos before you start and as you go on! (Your phone will time-stamp them so you have that even without trying).

Enormously helpful if you forget something, can reassure the customers that you actually did check something and useful if any disputes about what was needing done and/or replaced that was not part of an original quote.
Was thinking that with photos.
Going to dust out my old ipad I think, factory reset, keep it for work purposes purely and do the certs on it!

stick with the security systems.much cleaner, easier, less stressful, and better paid.

Hoping to get all intruder system, cctv, data points and other things into the rewire quotes!
That is a good suggestion.

Never get dragged in to a race to the bottom on pricing, try to offer a better and wider service than the rest and hopefully you will start to get a lot of referrals from satisfied customers, that counts for a lot!

Edit: A lot of folks seem to forget how useful networking is in a building, they think (or believe) that wifi delivers all they want where in reality you can get much better performance with wired, and even for wifi coverage having an extra access point or two that are hard-wired can give a decent speed everywhere in the building.

That is a good suggestion.

Never get dragged in to a race to the bottom on pricing, try to offer a better and wider service than the rest and hopefully you will start to get a lot of referrals from satisfied customers, that counts for a lot!

Edit: A lot of folks seem to forget how useful networking is in a building, they think (or believe) that wifi delivers all they want where in reality you can get much better performance with wired, and even for wifi coverage having an extra access point or two that are hard-wired can give a decent speed everywhere in the building.
Absolutely mate.
Especially extensions. Depending on RSJ's they can really f with WiFi signals. Been in business 3 years now, never advertise, works rolling in all recommendations...
"What's your best price "... err I just gave it you mate! When people knock 100 or 200 off a quote.. wow what was you earning with the original quote! I keep it honest I charge out parts at 10% with the time I take ordering, collecting and organising the stock. Add my day rate and fuel hey presto...my best price!!

Reply to Testing a new Switched CCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net