Discuss testing additional cu in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dbrennan

Hi all im new to the site, hope all ok.

i have just re-wired my garage for the purpose of getting registered again.
The garage is fed from main consumer unitby 2.5 t+e and then joins a swa, which is all existing.
I have re wired the garage, put a 2 way rcd unit in, 1 ring main, 1 lighting circuit.

Im struggling on how and what test cert to use, obviously a new electrical installation cert for the garage behond the cu, but will i be required to test the existing swa that feeds the garage?? im assuming so, but on what type of test sheet, i no this is fairly simple stuff and have been in trade over 10 years but i acnnot get my head round it, for example, when i take a ze reading at the garage cu realy this is the zs reading from thre main cu, what tests and certs are going to be required. im struggling not with the testing itsself but more were to record and what bits i should be filling in etc etc.

thanks in advance

You are only installing new in the garage and not from the CU, so as long as MCB rating in the house is correct for 2.5/SWA, test Ze at garage CU and the usual inside.

Dont forget to make sure the earthing and RCD's are correct where applicable.

You are only installing new in the garage and not from the CU, so as long as MCB rating in the house is correct for 2.5/SWA, test Ze at garage CU and the usual inside.

Dont forget to make sure the earthing and RCD's are correct where applicable.
yes but do i not have to add the zdb (swa's ZS) to the r1+r2 of the ring main or lighting circuit in the garage to get there zs. were would i write the ze for the garage as this is therefore the zdb. oh i need a stella im confusing myself over somthin =g i no is simple.

on the test cert sheet you only get to put one ze in and thats for the house cu, so when i get to the garage were do i record that result?? all info appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
hi the garage is circuit from the main install
how is it protected ? ( mcb) ?
is there rcd protection on the consumer unit ?
there will be no discrimination between rcds ie a fault in the garage could trip the rcd in the house

hi the garage is circuit from the main install
how is it protected ? ( mcb) ?
is there rcd protection on the consumer unit ?
there will be no discrimination between rcds ie a fault in the garage could trip the rcd in the house
the garage is protected by rcd in the house on a split load cu and the garage at present as also rcd protected not sure whether to take the rcd out of the garage but then that creates the problem like you say it can trip the house but if i put the garage on non protected and leave the rcd in the garage i have the problem that the t+e is not protected by rcd in the house so im leaving myself open to him asking why ect

yes the garage is protected by mcb, just a circuit on the house cu

Here is what i am going to get ready for the inspecter.

i will give a EIC for the garage, in the ze box i will put in the reading i get at the house cu, for my r1+ r2 tests in the garage i will add the zdb (ze at consumer unit in the garage technically) to get my zs results for them circuits, i will then carry all tests as normal and record results on my eic for the garage.

one thing im unsure about is when i write in the charisteristics of supplys and breaker size, main switch etc ect do i put in the ones from the mcd - main switch protecting the whole lot thats in the house or the garage ones, and also when it asks for main switch ets should i be putting the house ones in the results or the garage dist board ones.

I have also been told not sure if correct to do an addition eic for the swa that is feeding the garage.

please correct me were i am wrong

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
the rcd in the house will protect the garage i see where you are coming from putting a rcd in the garage but they are both
30ma there is no discrimination i not an assessor so i am not sure how he will see it
are you being extra safe thinking the rcd in the garage will trip without affecting the rcd in the house ?
or will he think you no that is possible i am not 100% on this but i think that 1 rcd does the same job

the rcd in the house will protect the garage i see where you are coming from putting a rcd in the garage but they are both
30ma there is no discrimination i not an assessor so i am not sure how he will see it
are you being extra safe thinking the rcd in the garage will trip without affecting the rcd in the house ?
or will he think you no that is possible i am not 100% on this but i think that 1 rcd does the same job

no i no the one in the house is totally fine but it can cause nuisance tripping in the house ie a bulb goes on the security lights on the garage and the house also trips out, but if i put the garage on the non protected side of the house cu then i create another problem because the twin and earth that feeds the swa would then not be rcd protected and is run in the wall somwere.

no i no the one in the house is totally fine but it can cause nuisance tripping in the house ie a bulb goes on the security lights on the garage and the house also trips out, but if i put the garage on the non protected side of the house cu then i create another problem because the twin and earth that feeds the swa would then not be rcd protected and is run in the wall somwere.
sorry mate my typing fingers are moving faster than my brain ( not hard these days )
i had in my head for some reason dual rcd ccu yes if on the unprotected side with rcd in the garage then
that fine as long as the supply from the house to the garage has adequate mechanical protection

hi can you run surface in trunking the t&e that picks up the swa or better still rcbo then you are totaly coverd
as for the eic what you have stated above sounds fine . i cant see why you would need a seperate eic for the swa ??????????

Last edited:

Reply to testing additional cu in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock