Discuss testing advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jbrown1989

hello all, i work for a large company so have not a great deal of experience in domestic test certificates. i have 2330 lvl 3, 2391, 17th ed ect going to do a job for some one that involves changing a circuit from an economy7 dis board to the normal consumer unit for 24/7 power! the circuit will simply serve one single socket outlet in a living room, and be doing away with the old storage htr spur. the consumer unit is pretty old and i will struggle to get a rcbo to fit, so i have got a 20amp mcb that fits and also was going to put a rcd fused spur next to the consumer unit for this circuit. so the radial circuit will be 30ma protected and the 2.5mm2 cable will be protected by the 20amp mcb. (although the rcd fused spur will have 13amp fuse in place)

so question time.....
because the cable is already installed and i will be changing use of circuit will i be correct in thinking i will have to fill out a minor works certificate?

is there any other foreseeable way to complete this job just as easy? thought about upgrading dis board ect but i only want to get involved in the circuit i am working on.

as i see your post. there's nothing wrong with how you want to do it. you are only responsible for the work you do. however, you must still ensure earthing and bonding are adequate.

Just out of interest you work for a large company. Do you sign off your own work for them?
Sorry to be abrupt but you say you have 2391 and are 17th ed do you really have to ask this Question?
Also anyone that's part p should know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit of a grey area really because you are adding it to the 24 hour con unit you are technically introducing a new circuit therefore changing the characteristics of the installation .

i would say your adding a circuit to the 24/7 board so a EIC is required. Also then you have no RCD protection on that circuit ( up to the spur).

New circuit as I see it, you are connecting a cable to a new distribution board and therefore installing a new circuit, you will need to change the circuit chart and ensure the protection to the circuit is correct for the type of equipment connected to it, it will need testing and verifying, I can't see how a minor works could be possibly an option.

i hope that soap box is at leasst IP 55. :puke:

it may have sounded wrong about the minor works certificate but i understand when issuing a EIC you cannot have any deviations from the new current regs, which the change of use for the circuit will be in old colours, so i will be issuing an EIC with deviations so when i submit to building control will they query why? also the consumer unit is old and to small to install a rcbo for that dedicated circuit. as i stated i was thinking of puting a rcd spur mounted on the side of the consumer unit, so although from the mcb to the rcd spur the cables will not be rcd protected they will be enclosed in the consumer unit. is this acceptable to the regs? is it ok to state this on the sheet?

I would take building control and knock their heads off the nearest wall part p is exactly as it stands for pish I agree that all wiring new wiring should be harmonised but you are re using existing wiring sleeve it fill in the comments for deviations and sign it what you are proposing there is nothing wrong with it and has been done for years without incident. I don't know how your building control is but here I don't think any of them could even wire a plugtop but they happily read a letter they don't understand and then try to tell us we are wrong. I once had one argue with me that I had to use grommets in metal plaster depth boxes with the rounded oval holes. I asked him to read the regs to me because one of us was not understanding them. And he read where metal boxes are used a method of bushing should be used eg. Grommets. I asked him what eg meant and he looked at me all funny and said example and I handed him a box and a grommet and asked him to show me how to fit them.
He squeezed it pushed it and finally got it stuck in the hole not properly but it was there so I then passed him the end of a 1.5 t&e and asked him to feed it through his grommet which he could not I then asked if I could see his qualifications to be able to tell me about a job I have done 4 years training for which again he could not he left red faced and apologising never questioned me again but still talks when I meet him. We are professionals if we do it to the standard we know is safe then you should never have any worries. Don't get me wrong I don't know everything but I would never leave anything I was not sure about or happy with. Sorry for long winded reply but fed up with part p pish lol

Well if you want to be picky;
411.3.3 refers to additional protection for the socket outlet not the circuit so you could just fit an RCD socket outlet.

Happy new year
Laurie

it may have sounded wrong about the minor works certificate but i understand when issuing a EIC you cannot have any deviations from the new current regs, which the change of use for the circuit will be in old colours, so i will be issuing an EIC with deviations so when i submit to building control will they query why? also the consumer unit is old and to small to install a rcbo for that dedicated circuit. as i stated i was thinking of puting a rcd spur mounted on the side of the consumer unit, so although from the mcb to the rcd spur the cables will not be rcd protected they will be enclosed in the consumer unit. is this acceptable to the regs? is it ok to state this on the sheet?

Reply to testing advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock