Discuss Testing - an idiots guide in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevie h

Hi lads , any one have any copy dvds , user guides or instruction on testing with a megger 1502 , as ashamed as i am to admit , i have no testing knowledge what so ever , i served my time for a large firm called "AT Group" at the said company we never tested our own installations , we had a few lads dedicated to testing all our installs , after serving my time i hooked up with a small firm were jobs were installed and switched on(no testing) :eek::eek:

I'm now looking to going it alone and hoping to join the NIC part P scheme in the near future

Cheers

Ste:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi stevie,
If i were you i would enroll on a proper course where you get a c&g qualification at the end ,theres also some publications that might prove usefull, look on ebay

all the best with it

rums right ,get qualified it'll be a nightmare if you get caught out

re. megger 1502. go on megger's site, send 'em an email and they are very helpful. sent me a user guide for my 1552 which i bought off ebay.

As mentioned above I would attend the 2392 domestic course (i assume you have the 17th) and a copy of BS7671:2008 and Guidance Note 3, and that will certainly arm you with the knowledge you need, the experience wil come with time.

Well several things, I prefer best practice guide 4 on reccomendation codes, secondly you do not "Fail" an installation doing a PIR it is either satisfactory/unsatisfactory, and I would agree labelling is a 2 ie needing improvement.

Periodics are not for the new electrician, even if you did your 2391 course as part of your training, you need in depth knowledge of the type of installation you are testing.

You also requires a good understanding of the regs and their relationship to installation requirements, so that you are not guessing or misunderstanding those two columns of tick boxes in the schedule of inspection and dozen or so columns in your schedule of test results.

Finally, good as these forums are, you need a process of verification in place so that any grey areas or inaccuracies can be rectified. If you are self employed, send a copy now and then of any certificate to your accrediting body

to answer the original post, experience apart, a very good book to buy is chris kitcher's guide to inspection and testing ( upgraded to 17th Ed.). about £14 and a very useful guide for anyone getting into test/inspection.

to answer the original post, experience apart, a very good book to buy is chris kitcher's guide to inspection and testing ( upgraded to 17th Ed.). about £14 and a very useful guide for anyone getting into test/inspection.

Agree that this is a very useful book for testing - got lots of clear explanations and good photographs. My only complaint with it is that if you buy it with an examination in mind although it says it is updated to 17th edition the update particularly with regard to the exam questions and answers is poor. There are still numerous parts that are firmly stuck in the 16th, so unless you already know your 17th you could be led astray on some bits. Plus the certification part is very niceic biased, which could be an advantage or diadvantage depending on which part Poo scheme you are heading for.

True, i too have the book, and it is an advertisement for Niccy (NICEIC), but apart from that, it is a very informative book, well set out, but as pushrod says, brush up on your 17th edition too.

its funny how people disagree because

browny says - It's okay no more than that, The Practical Guide to Inspection, testing and certificates by Kitcher is much better.

Mr Kitchers book is very good and he also does some demo video's on YouTube. However the testing is very easy after doing a couple of jobs, the hard part is knowing what all the results mean, how to spot faults and how to use the tester to help remedy the faults. I don't think any book or video will help with that. A C&G 2391/2 course is possibly your best bet.

Good Luck

it's the practical experience teaches you how to interpret readings and rectify faults. we all can read a meter and compare readings with what are acceptable. eg. max. ZS for a particular MCB/fuse. the hard part is when you get a reading that is not acceptable, and tracing and rectifying the problem.

Well, I just joined today, and I can't seem to find the 'New Thread' button for posting, so I hope this question is deemed 'on topic'.

Panel has a Hager EM 001 time lag switch installed for operating hallway/staircase lighting. Getting current to Phase/Negative supply. Getting current between N supply (#3) and the hot--#2 to lights contact. But none of the lights work, even with EM 001 switch set to 'on' instead of time lag. None of the hallway switches illuminate when pressed. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this circuit? Since N to #2 gives me a reading, I'm ASSUMING it's not the Hager EM 001. Thanks!

Reply to Testing - an idiots guide in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock