Discuss testing and certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gunner

guys,would appreciate your views on this one.i am time seved 35yrs experience currently working on a fixed maintenance job although install trained.this year have done 2382 2392 2377.head of dept will not buy us test equipment believing that regs,etc are a load of ********.his words not mine.we dont do a vast amount of install but when we do it is always tested by an outside firm.this is crazy to me and i cant get my head around it.the company is 11000 stong and financially able to pay a few hundred quid for a multifunction tester.wehave just installed two ring final circuits and the job has ground to a halt because we have told them we cant complete without being able to test.result they have a one man band coming in next tuesday to test and cetificate.am i and the other 2 sparks missing something here.i cant work out how you pay to get someone in when you have people already on site more than capable to do the job your views eagerly awaited:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Department head taking a back-hander maybe?

Could the tester be a friend of the boss?

Is the department head an engineer?

Does the companies insurance require an independent assessment?

Yooj

Last edited by a moderator:
backhander possible
tester known to dept
dept head former plasteres mate who got lucky
company health and safety dept are ignorant of whats going on

Yes this sound very fishy, why would you not want to test? testing is a great earner !!
Does your electrical boss sign his name on the Electrical Installation certificate for the design and construction part?? Do you have a electrical engineer who is approved if not this maybe the case ???
but i am just guessing as more details required i think.

This appears to be the industry standard with maintenance companies, contract managers do not believe their engineers competent, the engineers may not be competent, back handers are definitely taking place... The usual excuse of "no budget", even though they can pay above the odds to get someone in to test it.

I come across it all the time, and it's my job to try and get everyone doing what they should have been doing since day dot. It's a long hard slog I tell you!!

Reply to testing and certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net