Discuss Testing and fault finding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi looking for some assistance which tests would you remove an rcbos functional earth? Isit when you do your rcd tests?

And another one if anyone can help me clear this up when fault finding how would you go about splitting a ring?
What would you link out at the consumer unit?

Sorry I have deleted my original answer, after thinking about it, it 's obvious that Adam has a little experience.

Last edited:
I've no idea what the FE on an RCBO does, so I'll pass on that one!

For a faulty RFC, divide and conquer. Break the ring at its mid-point and test each resulting Radial to narrow down the fault location.
Once you know which half is faulty, start breaking down the radial, testing as you go until you find it.

Yes, it’s hard to teach yourself when you’ve had 5 Electrical tutors in the last year and a half! But trying really hard :) we all have to start somewhere!

Any help would be much appreciated

The functional earth should be in place during an RCD test but it should be removed when conducting Insulation resistance tests on the circuit supplied by the RCD. Ideally do not apply 500V to an RCD at all.

When testing a ring it would depend on what fault you were looking for what you might connect at the consumer unit.
Say you were looking for a disconnected neutral but the line and cpc were OK, then you could connect the cpc and the neutral of one leg of the ring only and measure neutral to earth resistance at each socket, where the resistance becomes open circuit is the point of fault.
Where you want to split down the ring is described by Archy Strigg above.

The only time Im aware you'd disconnect any cables from an RCD or RCBO when testing is to disconnect the outgoing circuit to do insulation resistance. Failure to not disconnect when doing insulation resistance would result in a poor reading and could damage the RCD

Cheers, Well the college is under investigation from city and guilds and been stopped from taking on anymore apprentices and the remainder of my class are being transfered to another college.. (all the old tutors told me the college wouldn’t pay enough money which I understand could be frustrating)

Yes, Westwood trying my best to get myself through my exams! :)

Richard burns thanks means a lot , this is how I have been doing it but wasn’t sure if I was doing it correctly.

Just for a laugh,i would give good money,for a RCD or RCBO,which has been damaged by any standard IR test...:)

Just for a laugh,i would give good money,for a RCD or RCBO,which has been damaged by any standard IR test...:)
No chance if such a mythical beast exists surely the person responsible for frying it would dispose of the evidence because they didn’t follow procedure...:tearsofjoy:

I suspect it is a monkeys/typewriter/Shakespeare type of event :)

I have challenged a number of sparks,to use a standard test MFT of their choice,and fry one in front of me...not happened yet ;)

Reply to Testing and fault finding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock