Discuss Testing and inspecting my own home? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillcbr400

I Thought this was the most appropriate place to post this thread.
Heres abit of background about myself, qualified electrician working in the railway industry for the past 5-6years.
i hold the 2330 level 3, 2356 nvq, and 17th.
My query is I've just bought my first home and currently renovating it. I am wanting to rewire the full house. I have spoken to my local council who wants £256 to look at the first fix and then get a contractor to test and inspect it. I work with lads who hold their 2391 and doing my 2395 myself in January. My question is, is it not possible to get one of them to test it and provide the documents to council? Or would it be cheaper to get someone who is part of an authorising body to test and miss out the middle man as such.
Not being from a domestic background I am not sure of all the avenues possible really.
thanks for any advice
phill

If, and that's IF you can convince the Council you are competent, they MAY waive the fees and accept your EIC, however Councils don't have much money anymore so you may have to pay up.

Oh, and Part P registered sparks aren't allowed to sign off and register other peoples work - that why its "self certification"

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the lads at work managed to re wire his dads new build, say it was his dads work and him test it. Was hoping to do the same really. Me install it and him test it. Unfortunately he comes under the next council to me. Surely lads in the domestic trade can test other people work if have they the relevant qualifications?

Farmelectrics I was going to do that but heard of problems arising when you come to sell, not that I intend too just yet. Also is it an excuse for the insurance to say bye bye if the worst happened.

If you're 'competent' then you can test any installation. The issue you have is with signing the work off via Part P. Opinions on this forum vary widely about Part P. Some will tell you to follow the rules, others will tell you to ignore Part P. The rules are there, you just have to decide whether you want to follow them.

Me thinking along the lines of the worst, if say we had a house fire would the insurance not pay out because it has does certification regarding testing that has been produced to the building control.

Lots of houses have no certification.millions even
If there were insurance requirements for certification,then these millions of households would know nothing of it and neither do I

If you rewire and say nothing as millions of others currently do,when you come to sell,you can carry out the Pir yourself, as a competent electrician there is nothing stopping you
The part P fiasco is so pathetic,you need to have more money than sense to get involved and pay the council to carry out work you were trained to do
If I were you I would leave this paying nonsense to us mugs who need it for our business commitments

Doesn't sound like a bad idea des, what's the worst that could happen?? And maybe get a pir in a year or so when the pennies arnt needed on other things.

Reply to Testing and inspecting my own home? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net