Discuss Testing costs? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Frosty69

Hi people I'm based in the north west and I am going pricing a job on monday. It's a pir on a commercial building but it's my first inspection and testing job since I set up on my own two months ago. I did quite a bit of testing for my old firm but never got involved in pricing ect. So what is the going rate for single phase and three phase per breaker? Im not sure on the number of circuits, identification etc so I know you will only be able to give me an estimate.Thankyou

40 minutes per circuit
40 minutes per dist board
multiply by the hourly rate you decide on

Additional time for investigation if no previous paperwork is available
Thats are rough scale that seems to work

one thing you have to allow for is waiting time when you want to test a circuit or DB and you are unable to isolate due to equipment in use. you may have to spend some time after hours.

cheers for the replies I was thinking of trying to do it on a weekend if they arent working so I can just isolate without having to wait forever and doing bits of boards at a time! ahwell I will find out more on monday.
Thanks again

a minimum of £20. per circuit. some might go all over the place with spurs and all sorts. ( get bertie basset in for those )

I wouldn't ever consider charging per breaker or circuit.
I always charge a day rate.
Two weeks ago Friday, I went to look at a job.
Had to sit through two inductions, spent perhaps twenty minutes looking at the job, a total of 6 hours.
Told the installation electrician to phone me when the install was completed, and access had been sorted.
Eight circuits to test, four on one side of the building, four on the other. Two days at most, plus a day for the inductions.
Tuesday morning following the Bank Holiday, returning home, get a call from the Agency, explain that they are not ready for me.
The Agency gets back to me ten minutes later they want me on site, be there in an hour I say.
Get to site, no change. Phone the boss of the company doing the install who's in Dublin and tell him there's nothing for me to do.
He'll be on site Thursday, just muddle through till then.
Thinks, there's two circuits very nearly complete, just isolators to terminate and I can test them.
24 points per circuit, all terminated incorrectly. Explain to the installation electrician where he's gone wrong, takes all day to rectify the two circuits.
I gave them a hand, as I was bored.
Wednesday goes to get permit to the switchroom again, informed that I need another permit from the people upstairs if I'm going to conduct electrical testing.
After a pointless argument about whether I had the key to the switch room, despite the fact that I was waving it in their faces, it was decided that I couldn't have a permit as there had been no method statement and risk assessment submitted. I then write out method statement and risk assessment, which is rejected because I have not stated the means for access to the four high level circuits. I don't know the means, or even who is going to provide the access. So I sit and wait.
Thursday, speak to the boss, look at the pigs ear of a method statement he has produced, write out new sections to do with the testing, also a risk assessment, and he buggers off home where he will get it typed out and emailed to the installation electrician who will print it off.
Friday morning, submit method statement. Friday late morning am informed that method statements usually take twenty eight days to be approved, they will try to have it approved by Monday.
Coincidently the same day that an aluminium access tower will be delivered.
Saturday, start other job.
Monday continue with other job.
Tuesday return to first job, method statement has gone missing, aluminium access tower has been condemned. Eventually find method statement, and discover that the risk assessment makes no mention of any risks involved with the testing. Am instructed to wait for company employee to arrive the next day.
Wednesday, company employee delivers two panels, and leaves site. He will apparently return in the afternoon.
Getting fed up, I write out a risk assessment, get it typed up by one of the site secretaries and attach it to the method statement, approval is finally given at about 3pm, on the understnding that proper access will be provided.
Thursday and Friday, return to other job. Friday evening get phone call from installation electrician, a ladder will be on site Monday. Can I come to site Monday morning please?
Monday again at other job, ladder delivered about 4pm.
Tuesday, Wednesday and today am on site waiting for the circuits to be sorted. Tested four circuits yesterday, and the final four today at 4.30pm.
Total cost to them for testing eight circuits with just two breakers £1500, and is there any chance I can test another eight circuits tomorrow in another building. Dont' worry, they're all done, and correctly terminated.
I've told them I can only spare three hours, as I have another job to do, and if the testing is not completed, I'll return sometime next week, or the week after.
Tomorrows charge will be £150.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Testing costs? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net