Discuss Testing domestic work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was just wondering if someone could confirm the situation with issuing any kind of test certificate for electrical work carried out. I was under the impression that you had to be registered with one of the 5 schemes eg NICEIC, napit but a colleague of mine told me that is not the case and I would be able to complete my own. I am qualified to cg 2391 to carry out the testing just wanted to know if I am permitted to issue a certificate.

The legal element is that some bits of domestic electrical work are notifiable, to find out what is and is not go to the planning portal and download Approved Document P. In order to notify work to building control you can -
A Join a scam eg NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa etc
B Pay an exorbitant fee to LABC every time you want to notify a job.
There is an option C but that's being very naughty and will get you a stern telling off if ever anyone can be bothered to do it which is unlikely. Also, option C won't score you any brownie points with most of the guys on here who (rightly) do it by the book and could actually get you tarred with the cowboy brush in your area if it were ever to come out.
Obviously, option A is the way forward. How to join a scam has been done to death on here and continues to be, check out the various organisation's web sites for info on what they want from you in order to sign you up.
Hope that helps.

No! If the work is not notifiable that's the end of it, you cert it using EIC or MWC as appropriate. Just because it's on an EIC does not automatically mean it's notifiable.

and it's also of note that you don't have to be a part pee scam member to carry out EICRs.

So I am fine to issue a MWC, EIC, or EICR as long as the work is not notifiable? Just want to make sure I'm doing things by the book!

The regs say you issue these certificates for all your work irrelavent whether its Labc notifiable or not,that is part and parcel of being a spark

The notifiable work issue is Building regulations procedure and nothing to do with certificates

You can certify any work you chose,whether it is accepted by your client is another matter
This is where the scams come in,they run schemes that permits building regs notifiable work to be self certificated instead of informing the council building control guy beforehand

Does anybody care but the trick of the scams is to make you think they are relivent even although the Part P review has hacked it down I think your local council would be happy with a 17th edition CU that replaces a 3036 without the Notification Police having to get involved

Shhhhhhh! You're not supposed to ask questions like that, the whole con will fall apart.

Our place is to follow like sheep and do whatever the scam operators say we have to do. Independant thought is not allowed.

To clarify (some wont like me saying this)
any "electrican" can issue a certificate part p or not, but only a part p "electrican" can self notify a notifiable job, a non registered "electrican" would have to issue Cerys to building control. A non electrican would just ask building control to test and issue certificate

To clarify (some wont like me saying this)
any "electrican" can issue a certificate part p or not, but only a part p "electrican" can self notify a notifiable job, a non registered "electrican" would have to issue Cerys to building control. A non electrican would just ask building control to test and issue certificate
And pay them a fee.

the whole farce just making it more attractive to the customer ( coz. it's 50% cheaper ) to get cowboys and foreigners to do the job.

Reply to Testing domestic work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net