Discuss Testing during a consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The figures I gave were hypothetical; we are in an open forum, don't want to give away our prices & measly profit!

I know some charge £--- for an EICR, then charge £--- for a CU replacement. I wouldn't of been able to do that. So my price was just the price for the CU replacement, which varied on the size of the new CU, number of circuits, bonding etc. Testing before & after was included in that.

Those of us who run our own business will adopt different approaches to pricing. As you point-out, some charge for an EICR prior to a board change separate to the actual board change itself whereas others like myself price both as one inclusive job. Some prefer to price their EICRs on a per circuit basis whereas I prefer to charge according to the size and type of property. Indeed, I have two major EICRs on the horizon, one in a city-centre seven-floor office block, the other in a medium-sized industrial environment. Both will be charged on an actual hours worked basis (plus daily parking expenses for the office block job). I have worked for both clients before and they trust me enough not to overcharge, or bill them for hours that weren't worked.

Even with general domestic work, some will price on a per item basis whereas others simply add the cost of the materials to the estimated time that the job(s) will take to complete. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way of pricing for domestic work, it's very much a case of each to their own and whatever works for you.

I very much doubt I could do a full EICR and a board change in a day, unless it was a very small house.

A full EICR in a 3/4 bedroom property rarely takes me longer than 3-4 hours to complete. That leaves 4-5 hours for the board change, final testing and certification. This is adequate more often than not.

I have known of people conducting EICERs then offering to deduct the cost of the EICR from the work.
Whether they do that, or just add the cost of the EICR to the cost of the work, I don’t know.
I do similar ish. As a rough guide on a £350 board change I will agree a non-refundable £150 worth of testing, sufficient for me to be certain that I will not have any ir issues and that the circuits connected are continuous (RFCs) and cpcs on radials (Zs all points). Also look for borrowed neutrals. Normally done by lunchtime and then board change inc final tests and record results.
If problems are encountered they are encountered within the £150 and customer advised of remedials meaning I can leave existing board as was

Reply to Testing during a consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net