Discuss Testing emergency lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all
I am a 17th edition sparky... but currently not actually doing much electrical work.
I work with a CCTV company that basically do as they please when it comes to regs, doing a job properly etc.
They have asked me to go test all the emergency lighting in a public building, and I wondered what certs etc should be issued in regards to this.
I am competent, but basically after checking them all and identifying what needs replacing, new batteries etc.... are we supposed to issue a cert or something? I have never in my 38 years of sparking been that involved with emergency lighting.
Are we supposed to identify what lights have no test switch etc?
Personally, I would rather they get a local sparky in.... but that just isn't gonna happen.
Any guidance gratefully received!

we use equipment tags and test monthly the tags have a comment section on them and we were required to list what was changed or repaired and the date. also the info needed to be entered in the facility engineers logbook.
the local fire marshal audits these books 4 times a year.
but the regs in your country are different than ours

If not a "cert" as such you could enter your findings into a spreadsheet and email it to the person ordering the work.

exactly if there is not a cert form for it you have proof that it was done as long as you retain a copy and have sent it to all the pertinent people involved

If you are testing emergency lighting systems then you should be competent and understand the implications of BS5266: Part 1.

There should be a log book for the system(s) and you would be signing this log book to confirm that the installation is, and continues to be, compliant with the various requirments.

If you don't know about this, then don't do it. If there's a fire and the occupants of this public building cannot get out because your "certified" emergency lights don't work, then it will be YOUR dangly bits on the chopping block when the courts come to pin the blame on somebody.

Just saying.....

What test is this annual or quarterly? Have you examined existing log books if any? What type of system is it? How many are there. Does the design comply in the first place?

The only tests recommended are monthly and annually. Annex K of BS5266:1 suggests a Certificate to be used for the verification of existing installations, we use something based on this format. Annex M shows a Model periodic inspection and test certificate.
Signing a log book to say you have tested it does not assume the system is adequate or compliant, the log book is only the history of the system which should also include all other works carried out to it. If you feel the system is inadequate or non compliant you state this in the log book and ensure the responsible person/s are forwarded copies of the certificates. EN 50172 gives details of log book requirements.

Hmm
As far as I am aware, there are no previous records of testing.
I wondered if I am supposed to purely test the condition of the fittings and batteries, or actually indulge in whether they are correctly placed, have test switches, adequately light the area etc

Oh... I forgot my password and tried to request a new one on here.... the Capatcha anti-spam request for a new password is totally impossible on this website. Lucky I finally remembered the original password.

Nope. He sent an untrained guy there who refused to do it. So, seeing as I am 17th qualified, I now have been lumbered with the task. Doesn't make me any happier about it... hence the questions.
I just don't know exactly what I am supposed to check and note

As a 17th edition Electrician, you can conduct a periodic inspection of the wiring and equipment.
You can state whether the system is electrically safe for continued use.
You would not necessarily be able to state whether the system complies with BS5266-1.

I don't have a copy of BS5266 and I'm not about to fork out £122 for one, but I'd like to think I'm competent to turn a switch off and on again once a month, and I'm even willing to initial to say I've done it.

The way I see it emergency light testing is like fire alarm testing or even PAT testing (ISI&TEE) - you're not designing a system, just testing it, and a caretaker could do that.

Again, I haven't done a special course and got a certificate to say I can design an emergency lighting system, but I can integrate emergency lighting into the primary lighting system, and in a situation where nobody else is going to consider emergency lighting until it's too late I'd be happy to put my neck on the line. Same with the testing of it - I'm happy to take that on if nobody else will.

Thanks. I am competent. I just was not 100% sure of the implications and requirements.
I will take a look Monday and make an informed judgement.
Being competent I assume you have a good working knowledge of the necessary standards and requirements.

I don't have a copy of BS5266 and I'm not about to fork out £122 for one, but I'd like to think I'm competent to turn a switch off and on again once a month, and I'm even willing to initial to say I've done it.

The way I see it emergency light testing is like fire alarm testing or even PAT testing (ISI&TEE) - you're not designing a system, just testing it, and a caretaker could do that.

Again, I haven't done a special course and got a certificate to say I can design an emergency lighting system, but I can integrate emergency lighting into the primary lighting system, and in a situation where nobody else is going to consider emergency lighting until it's too late I'd be happy to put my neck on the line. Same with the testing of it - I'm happy to take that on if nobody else will.
When you integrate emergency lighting into an existing system how do you go about this, what are your primary considerations.

When you integrate emergency lighting into an existing system how do you go about this, what are your primary considerations.
Generally the same considerations as for the primary lighting system, such as the use of the space and future maintenance, plus the direction of the escape route.

Reply to Testing emergency lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net