Discuss Testing Equipment for Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hutch6447

Hi all absolutely tearing my hair out with this for Elecsa assessment do you need your proving unit and volt meter calibrated cheers?

Hi all absolutely tearing my hair out with this for Elecsa assessment do you need your proving unit and volt meter calibrated cheers?

No. I use the incoming side of the main switch to prove. Voltage tester does not need calibrating but your meters for testing do. Oh BTW, relax, Elecsa are excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just calibration on your MFT and seriously Ive done 6 Elecsa assessments now. Was the same as you on the first one, every T crossed, van was spotless, i even laminated the calibration certificate and afterwards I was amazed how straight forward it all was. You`ll be the same, trust me.

Whilst approved two-pole voltage indicators that indicate the voltage level in a series of wide bands do not require calibrating, any two-pole voltage indicator that incorporates a discrete digital or analogue voltmeter should be treated like any other voltmeter and be calibrated to ensure accuracy and repeatability.

If Electrical Trainee boy's can get through these buck-shee scam provider assessments then there can't be much to them!! I've never seen anyone yet, come on the forum saying they have failed there assessment... I'm wondering if anyone has ever failed?? There basically only after your Dosh, when all said and done!!! lol!!

Tea Coffee and biscuits, keep asking them questions they like that, the ones ive met generaly like to look in CU and carry out a few tests thats it.... they could ask you anything but have your on site guide to hand as you can always refer to it... never known anyone to fail either..

Don't worry mate the ELECSA assessors are a friendly bunch, unlike some of the condescending "We are not amused." types from other schemes. You will not be expected to know all the answers to their questions, but you will be expected to be able to find the answers in either BS7671, OSG, GN3 or EGBR.

my elecsa assessor even told me what section of the osg to go to if I hesitated for more than a second over the answer!
Seriously, as others have said, they do their best to make sure you are ok. Just make sure you can tick all the boxes in their checksheet and you will be fine.

And don't worry about markiesparkies comments about calibrating VIs if yours has an LCD display. Mine has and the guy didn't even look at it. As long as you know you should not rely on the accuracy of the reading I reckon you are ok.

my elecsa assessor even told me what section of the osg to go to if I hesitated for more than a second over the answer!
Seriously, as others have said, they do their best to make sure you are ok. Just make sure you can tick all the boxes in their checksheet and you will be fine.

And don't worry about markiesparkies comments about calibrating VIs if yours has an LCD display. Mine has and the guy didn't even look at it. As long as you know you should not rely on the accuracy of the reading I reckon you are ok.

Same here, mine has an LCD display but it's not calibrated. The assessor was only interested in the MFT calibration. If he queried it though, which I don't think he ever would, I would tell him that I don't use it to make voltage measurements and if I want to measure voltage I use my MFT which is calibrated.

not too sure about this mate....think about it.....you have a DRO that can work to 2 decimal places......something that can give out a true value....so dont discount Marks post here.....i think its valid.....

not too sure about this mate....think about it.....you have a DRO that can work to 2 decimal places......something that can give out a true value....so dont discount Marks post here.....i think its valid.....

I'm not discounting it. It is a valid comment. However I don't think it means you need to calibrate a VI with a display. It just means that you need to be aware that you cannot use it for any measurement that requires an accurate result.
If you are really worried (perhaps if the VI is used by others) you can always put a label on it saying in is not calibrated and so not to relied on. - something that is done all the time in the electronics world to save calibrating kit that doesn't really need it.

it is a bit like the clamp meter I have in my toolbox which also has a voltage and resistance range. I know it isn't calibrated so I can't use it for official measurements. I also know it doesn't have GS38 leads etc so cannot be used instead of a VI and it certainly will not be accurate to use instead of a low resistance ohm meter. But I know all that so if someone told me to calibrate it or take it out of my toolbox I would laugh at them.....

well thats a fair comment brman...i mean as far as someone substituting a VI for a low resistance ohmmeter....well thats nearly as bad as a `plug in tester`...or a `volt stick`..lol...but if you were in an environment where low resistance ohmmeters were an alian breed (Electrical Trainee?)..lol...

Last edited:

Reply to Testing Equipment for Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock