Discuss Testing equipment?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phil94

Hello all,

I've recently went self-employed and I'm on the hunt for cheapish test equipment (for domestic use)? I don't want to be spending a fortune, as I will only be using it occasionally.

I would even consider buying second hand, but I thought I would ask for a bit of advice, thank you!

Phil

There's been a few similar threads recently so you might get some pointers there if you run a forum search. My advice was shop around for the older Robin separate testers which were simple, solid and reliable testers and will certainly do the job and can be bought on a tight budget. The only downside is that they're not fashionable but hey, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Yep, that was exactly the kind of instruments I was thinking of. It might be worth enquiring about calibration certificates. If they don't have certificates then just check how much it will cost to calibrate before you commit your hard earned cash.

The problem with three seperates is that you triple your calibration costs, which will pretty soon cover the cost of an MFT. I have the 3100 and have had no problems with it, easy to use. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. We don't need Rolls Royce, so we buy Ford. Just don't moan when the Ford doesn't behave like a Rolls Royce or when the Rolls Royce costs 5 times as much as the Ford to fix...

I too use the Metrel 3100. Nice cheap meter with all the functions you need for domestic work, that works just fine. The boots on the probes can sometimes make it a little difficult to get onto recessed terminals sometimes, and the strap is a little weedy, but these are only niggles. For the money it's a winner.

biggest drawback with the older separates is the lack of no-trip loop test, ramp and auto RCD test. i'd be looking at a 2nd hand megger 1552/3. there's usually a few on ebay.

Hello all,

I've recently went self-employed and I'm on the hunt for cheapish test equipment (for domestic use)? I don't want to be spending a fortune, as I will only be using it occasionally.

I would even consider buying second hand, but I thought I would ask for a bit of advice, thank you!

Phil

please don't take this the wrong way, but can you explain how you go self employed and only use a tester occasionally? I'm fairly sure that the regs require all work to be tested and certified as appropriate, or have I got it wrong all these years???
so spend on a good tester as it will earn its keep.

He may well sub to a bigger company labour only most of the time and fill in occasionally with small domestic work.

Just as silverfox1 says I'm sub contracted 3-4 days a week and then I just do wee odds and ends for myself. Though I'm getting a rewire to do in a few weeks and wanting to get myself a meter :)

The tester on eBay is advertised as a Metrel MI3100, but the picture shows a Metrel MI3000. It's probably worth asking a question of clarification if you are considering to purchase.

FYI - the differences between the two (other than colour) is that the MI3100 comes supplied with a remote test probe that will allow you to conduct a continuity or I/R test by pressing a button on the test probe rather than on the meter itself.

Question for chaps with the metrel. Been using one on a job and I can't change the loop test to RCD mode. A symbol comes up with SF on it, is this normal.

Reply to Testing equipment?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net