Discuss Testing Ethernet cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SparkyAndGeorge

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all. I have not really done any data work before but got a job next week installing some new data cable and ports. In one of the rooms there are 4 unused Ethernet ports, is there any way of testing these ports with a laptop? Any free software that may determine whether the port and cable are functioning correctly? Any advice much appreciated!

Hi. If you want to test presumably the cable is intact and connected correctly you will use a network tester. You can get these quite cheap and you attach one part to the patch panel the other to the RJ socket you want to test. This will show you all cables are terminated correctly at each end and if not then what pairs are not functioning correctly. I guess you have a stamp down tool.

As an afterthought, sometimes just one twisted pair is used if the socket is phone only and used with a dongle/adapter. In which case you will only see the lights on that pair. Usually each double data socket is one for phone one for internet. But again usually the four pairs are stamped in at each end in case it needs to be changed to two internet sockets if you can follow that.

You can just plug in the laptop and see if it connects to the internet or local server but if it doesn't work right away you're a bit stuck.

If you're going to do regular work on network installation it's worth investing in some decent kit, but for the occasional job there's plenty of inexpensive stuff that works well, there's also lot of crap so check the reviews before buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=diy&field-keywords=cable+tester

Your friendly local shed will have useful kit too

https://www.screwflix..com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219
(snowhead types faster than me :rolleyes:)

You can just plug in the laptop and see if it connects to the internet or local server but if it doesn't work right away you're a bit stuck.

If you're going to do regular work on network installation it's worth investing in some decent kit, but for the occasional job there's plenty of inexpensive stuff that works well, there's also lot of crap so check the reviews before buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=diy&field-keywords=cable+tester

Your friendly local shed will have useful kit too

https://www.screwflix..com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219
(snowhead types faster than me :rolleyes:)
If nothing is patched in then it will like peeing in the wind, continuity of the the cable needs to be tested/confirmed. To be honest I think it will be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid £1.99 plus postage from CPC and it did what it was supposed to do. Plug in the trandmitter in one RJ45 skt and the receiver in each other skt in turn and it will start to illuminate each line one by one It is unlikely a switch,bridge or router will be connected so you'll need to check each cable separately.

You should find a bunch of RJ45 cables with plugs on the end in somewhere like a cupboard. This where your system will make connection to the outside via Router. The other ends will be socket plates in each of the rooms. Hopefully you wont need to identify each end or make terminatations otherwise you'll need a RJ45/11 crimping tool plus the plugs and access to Youtube for installation advice.

Many moons ago you had to uses cross wired cables in some situations (normally for uplinks between switches). These were made by wiring to A at one end and B at the other.

It's worth baring in mind that dumb cable testers aren't foolproof. If you make the same mistake at both ends the dumb tester won't see it however the signal will be compromised due to the twisted pairs not being arranged correctly.

As Neil points out, those cheap testers will only tell you that "pin 1 connects to pin1" etc, but it won't tell you if the wires used are incorrect. It's fairly easy to use different wiring schemes and as long as both ends are the same then the cheap testers will tell you it's OK but it won't actually work for data. Split pairs can cause you no end of headache :rolleyes:
To do the job properly you really need the right test gear - which will cost you into 4 or 5 digits :eek: Luckily a while ago I picked up an old ex-rental Fluke DSP100 which while it only tests to Cat5 (not Cat5e) will still spot problems like split pairs, and also tell you where any breaks are. IMO it really is the minimum level of kit needed for doing network testing.

It's a bit like doing mains electrics. You can use a battery and lightbulb to test continuity (analogous to using those cheap network cable testers), but you really need proper conductance and IR testers (or MFT) to know that things are OK.

I have a similar eyesight issue especially where you get to a darkish patch panel with hundreds of them! I much prefer something with a bit of weight to it, give me a 70mm 4 core swa over a cat 5/6 anyway!

Can highly recommend the Ideal FT-45 feed through crimpers. Can be had from Screwfix at decent prices. They also stock the cat5e and cat6 ends. I think CPC stock ends for cat6a/thicker cables.

They are US based so you'll be able to source them easily Megawatt

You can easily check each core is in the right location before crimping. One of them best tools I've bought for a long time

Ideal FT-45

Reply to Testing Ethernet cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock