Discuss Testing exam question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I did my NAPIT test in Oct and the sequence JBW175 has told you is correct. Do not do it any other way and you will be fine.

Just remember to prove your meter, test dead, then re-prove the tester. Also put the lockout key in your pocket.

Good luck

I’ll concede that we all do things a little differently on site when the situation dictates, I was just trying set set him up correctly for exam conditions.

More importantly, do we know how he got on yet? Or has he been thrown in jail for not testing any extraneous conductive parts?

Well thanks everyone took assessment yesterday and passed no problems
Out of interest what was the quality of the other candidates?

On mine the guy who was supposed to be an invigilator spent a lot of time teaching people.

To be honest I was a little put out, as whilst I was obviously a outstanding candidate ?, a lot of those around me were pretty clueless and received the same piece of paper.

On mine the guy who was supposed to be an invigilator spent a lot of time teaching people.

To be honest I was a little put out, as whilst I was obviously a outstanding candidate ?, a lot of those around me were pretty clueless and received the same piece of paper.

there was only myself and one other doing it, and he had been testing for a company as a Qs under NICEIC for years but going on his own so decided to go through napit but knew his testing as been doing it years.

to be fair it was straight forward as I carried out all testing in sequence and ignored advice from local people to do it different ways. So took what I already knew and what was advised on here and passed it no problems

The trainers are to make sure you pass looks bad on them if they get a lot of failures

As with all educational qualifications since the invention of OFSTED all qualifications pass criteria are down graded to enable them to reach the requirements of the governing body so they don't get a bad review and have an improvement notice served on them, looks bad when prospective pupils look for their next training organisation.

The trainers are to make sure you pass looks bad on them if they get a lot of failures
Thats not the case here Pete, they're not trainers they are invigilators.

They are there to observe the tests are performed under exam conditions.

I don't believe there is a course associated with this certificate it is purely, supposed to be, an assessment of competence.

I was explicitly advised that this was not a training course but an assessment and that coaching would not happen.

So I believe its more a case of collecting subs of new scheme entrants.

Alright mate,

I take it you’re doing the Napit 7232 to prove competence? If so, read below.

You’ll be given a bay containing a 3P and single phase boards containing various circuits, containment, bonding, sup bonding and wiring types, to simulate something along the lines of a commercial premises downstairs and a residential dwelling above it.

First up you’ll have half an hour to carry out a visual inspection and pick up as many faults as possible, there’s about 12 and they like you to get at least 10. The rest you’ll pick up while testing.

Then you’ll do an EICR on the 3P board in the morning and an EIC on the SP board in the afternoon. You’ll also do a MWC for a spur that’s been put in on the RFC on the SP board.

At this point I’ll note that the 3P board is supplying the SP board.

Go through the testing sequence as you would.

Safe isolation
Continuity of main earthing conductors
Continuity of Bonding and sup bonding
Continuity of circuit protective conductors and RFC’s
IR
Live polarity at incoming tails
Ze
PEFC
PFC
Phase Rotation

Check over the board, make sure you’ve left nothing hanging out, replace guards and board cover.
You can now carry out Zs of circuits, RCD tests and functional tests.

IMPORTANT - Ensure the cover is on your 3P board and your SP board locked off before you take a Zs reading there, as although they’re right next to each other, in reality, ones in a basement and ones up the stairs. You’ll also need to prove safe isolation on the SP board prior to taking the reading.

Time wise, I think you get 2 hours for the EICR and 2.5 hours for the EIC and MWC which is plenty as on a 2391 course you only get 2.5 hours to complete both.

Good luck with but all; and if I’ve put phase rotation in the wrong place, I’m sure someone will be here to correct me shortly.

One more thing - SAFE ISOLATION, SAFE ISOLATION, SAFE ISOLATION
Very good of you to give this information, I also have the 7232 practical, do you know if the CU has rbco circuit or mcb

Very good of you to give this information, I also have the 7232 practical, do you know if the CU has rbco circuit or mcb

From memory, there was no RCD on the 3P board, and SP board was split load duel RCD for additional protection.

However, it’s been a few years so they may have updated the rigs (doubtful), and I suppose each training centre could be a different set up, so may not be the same.

You’ve got a rough idea of what to expect though.

From memory, there was no RCD on the 3P board, and SP board was split load duel RCD for additional protection.

However, it’s been a few years so they may have updated the rigs (doubtful), and I suppose each training centre could be a different set up, so may not be the same.

You’ve got a rough idea of what to expect though.
Yes got a good idea, just want to make sure I think about every possible scenario. Many thanks for you help it is very much appreciated.

Reply to Testing exam question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net