Discuss Testing Fire Alarms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nicsin02

Hi guys I've never actually tested fire alarms before and im getting sent out tommorow to do so with another spark who already does it but im just looking for a little bit of info so i can impress the guy :smart: lol, basically i know the systems get there weekly, 6 month and annual test , not sure if its the 6 months or annual one we are doing will find out 2morro, this is my understanding correct me if im wrong,

1. test battery voltage
2. test smoke detectors (have smoke cans)
3. test break glass (with key)
4. test heat detectors (hairdryer treatment lol)
5. disconnect any fire door circuits at panel so they dont close on every test and re-connect and test at end

after each individual test the panel will show fault etc... and i will have to reset, results will be recorded on site log book

any input guys would be greatly appreciated thanks

If the guy your working with tomorrow is experienced with alarms get him to explain the category of systems and how to put the system(s) into test mode.
Dont spray to much smoke just a quick burst otherwise that detector might trigger the alarm again and again for a few minutes after your inital test.
Got an extension lead for your hair dryer?
There is a little red book, an electrician guide to fire alarms which has some usefull info in it.

Your best bet here, is to learn from the experienced electrician rather than try to impress him with your limited knowledge of testing fire alarm systems. Anything you don't understand during the testing regime, then ASK!!!

There is a hell of a lot more to a thorough fire alarm system testing regime, than you are ever going to learn in a single visit....

and most importantly, inform the monitoring company that you are testing. otherwise you'll get a £300 bill off the fire brigade for attending

sounds like you no any way yes listen to other guy watch how he does it and store it in your hard drive every building will be the same then or very similar

Reply to Testing Fire Alarms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock