Discuss Testing fixed wiring in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

saprky22

Hello people

I am new to this forum and it seems very informative.

I have recently completed a PAT course to see me compliant, but I am now looking to do my C&G courses as it is more credible.

Any way my question is as follows;

Once I have done my C&G 2377 I want to look at being able to test fixed wiring. E.g in my office at the moment we have fixed wired dimplex heaters, which as far as I am aware should be tested? What do i need to do in order to be able to tests these?

also I currently work for a property rental company (hence the pat course) but also was thinking I could do the periodics but I want to know what I need to do in order to do this?

This is something I would like to do over the next 12/18 months. Sorry I am new to this, but am really keen to learn, so apologies if this sounds like an idiot has written this!! :wink_smile:

(not sure if this is the right place to post this if not please move)

Testing fixed wiring {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If you do want to do this then a quick tester block is vital for you.

As far as testing the fixed wiring of an installation and doing the "periodic reports" for this then I don't think you would be competent enough.
I'm assuming when you say fixed wiring you mean the cabling that would supply the sockets, lights etc etc from the fuse board.

thanks for the rely.

so the tester block is ok for me to test things like the heaters etc and I would be deemed competent to do so? seems straight forward, just don't want to be doing things that could cause me a problem later down the line.

In the future I would want to look at doing fixed wiring as you stated above, I understand at the moment I wouldn't be "competent" enough, but wanted to know what qualifications/courses I need in order to be competent.

I wish there really was a black and white answer to that .............you need to have this ................ and away you go.

In all honesty to carry out periodic testing or an Electrical Installation Conditioning Report (EICR) you don't need any qualifications, you need to be deemed competent, but proof of that competency would be a recognized electrical qualification such as C&G 2357 or similar and then the C& G 2391-10 or the new course which C&G 2395.

thanks for the info, and a warm welcome to the forum.

I will look into these later. I can't believe things like this aren't black and white, sound typical to the world today.... to many grey area's!

thanks for the info, and a warm welcome to the forum.

I will look into these later. I can't believe things like this aren't black and white, sound typical to the world today.... to many grey area's!

Its not so much of a grey area, more a case of it is misunderstood. The fixed wiring of an installation, is pretty much straightforward to deal with, and so a lot of people assume it is easy to work on, and it is to a point. But there is a hell of a lot that you need to know and understand in order to deal with the problems that can and do arise, and thats before we even get into the realms of disconnection times, volts drop, installation methods, methods of protection, blah blah blah.

Like any other skill, it takes years and years to get the experience and understanding. There is a fine line between fitting an additional socket onto a ring, and doing the same thing safely, but the difference is massive.

Cheers............Howard

Thanks for the reply Howard.

i fully understand it takes time to master a trade, I am just information gathering at this stage, knowledge is half the battle. Im not really thinking about adding sockets to rings etc, i just want to be able to offer testing services to customers such as pat and periodics. however down the line in the future might be a good idea to be able to do remedials.....

(aka saprky22 changed user names as spelt the first one wrong....:eek:)

You won't be competent to conduct Periodicals unless your an Electrician, that's about the long and short of it!! And that doesn't mean, just having a piece paper with a C&G logo on it!! Now, ...ever thought of testing Gas installations as a service you can offer??

You won't be competent to conduct Periodicals unless your an Electrician, that's about the long and short of it!! And that doesn't mean, just having a piece paper with a C&G logo on it!! Now, ...ever thought of testing Gas installations as a service you can offer??

I suspect that was early last weeks assignment
This weeks electricians one may be the long 3 day one for excellence in test and inspection

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG4_08.pdf
Follow this link and skip to sheet 5 where the safety council defines what is an inspector and the need for the inspectoir to have above average knowlege of a even a qualified electrician

I suspect that was early last weeks assignment
This weeks electricians one may be the long 3 day one for excellence in test and inspection

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG4_08.pdf
Follow this link and skip to sheet 5 where the safety council defines what is an inspector and the need for the inspector to have above average knowledge of a even a qualified electrician

Haha...I better turn down any future offers of I&T jobs!

Sorry but correct me if im wrong but you have to be a gas safe engineer to touch gas..... :-/

Perhaps there's a hint of irony to the suggestion. As you may not be competent to test gas, same applies for condition reports.

oh I see, so they are trying to be the funny man..... I get it lol.

however I understand at the moment I am not competent, as stated in an earlier post, im just information gathering at this stage. Its something for consideration in the future.

Reply to Testing fixed wiring in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock