Discuss testing for a borrow neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello all,

i just installed a new cu, which some of you may have read in another one fo my threads. everything was fine until i tried to connect one of the ligthing circuits to the board but it made the RCD trip every time.

i did some reading and suspected the ole borrowed neutral dilema.

Now i just want to run something by you so bare with me.

Imagine the new cu is installed
all circuits connected (except light circuit) and working fine
connect earth to earth bar of light circuit and all ok
connect nuetral to neutral bar and pop goes one of the RCDs
connect nuetral to the other neuitral bar and pop goes the other RCD
connect L1 to mcb and pop goes RCD
connect L1 to another mcb on other RCD and that pops too.

does this sound like borrowed neutral.

I tried to connect linked circuits into one mcb and but its RCD still tripped.

So i am thinking perhaps this is not a borrowed earth but perhpas insulation reistance problem. However the mcb never trips so if there is leakage of current it is too small to trip mcb but big enough to trip rcd.

can any one suggest a test method to either prove or dicprove this.

thanks very much

DD368

IR test each lighting circuit L/N, L/E, N/E, with all loads removed. bet you've got either a N/E reversal or a N/E short.

hello all,

However the mcb never trips so if there is leakage of current it is too small to trip mcb but big enough to trip rcd.

Think about what you are asking.
The mcb is rated 6 amps & the rcd is rated 30ma

yes but how would the readings differentiate between IR problem or borrowed neutral scenario?

An IR test will not highlight a borrowed neutral.
If the rcd is tripping because of earth leakage due to low IR, that would of shown up with your testing before energizing the circuit.

From experience, the first place I'd go looking is on the landing. 2way switch downstairs, probably a 2G along with another light thats on the downstairs ring, and the light on the landing is 2way switched but wired from the upstairs (or vice-versa). Easy way to test is to put both circuits on the same RCD and then go around the place a switch at a time.

turn all lights on then IR test between the live for one light circuit and the neutral from the other, if poor IR result go turn the lights off and IR test again if the results are now good then it a borrowed neutral, switch each light on one by one and test inbetween untill the problem one is found. it will prob be the landing light having the live fed from downstairs switch

Borrowed neutrals (or lives) can be identified by IR testing between circuits..(disconnected).....standard test proceedures ( continuity-polarity-IR) will identify any other problems before energising circuits.....swapping around energised circuits in the hope that trips wont trip is not the way to do it.

I can remember being shown that IR testing should be for both individual circuit and for separation of circuits, not only be between the P/N, PE/P and PE/N of each circuit but a basic IR/cont test between the neutrals of each lighting circuit and between the lives and the neutrals of each socket circuits. If there is a crossed neutral then that should pick up the problem.

Last edited:
connect L1 to mcb and pop goes RCD
connect L1 to another mcb on other RCD and that pops too.

does this sound like borrowed neutral.

No it doesn't (assuming you moved the neutrals over also)

I tried to connect linked circuits into one mcb and but its RCD still tripped.

This proves it.

Have you carried out an insulation test on these circuits? and if so what was the result?

It seems that you are using trial & error to find the problem,

Think about what you are asking.
The mcb is rated 6 amps & the rcd is rated 30ma

An IR test will not highlight a borrowed neutral.
If the rcd is tripping because of earth leakage due to low IR, that would of shown up with your testing before energizing the circuit.
Rubbish.....you can IR between the neutral bars at 250V with lamps in and switches on.....if it comes back flat then you have a borrowed neutral ...thats assuming all other IR tests are good of course.....

Is it me or is this all simle stuff that can be found using a test meter? The guy who started this thread needs to think if he's in the right game, trial and error is not good for fault finding.
Stop think and do it to a logical system.

Rubbish.....you can IR between the neutral bars at 250V with lamps in and switches on.....if it comes back flat then you have a borrowed neutral ...thats assuming all other IR tests are good of course.....

It's not rubbish Glenn
When would you ever do what you say in a normal days work?

The test you are talking about would show the same result in a continuity test between neutrals as well. Which is my rubbish point. A borrowed neutral would not show up during normal insulation resistance tests.

to be honest apart from looking for link at downstairs switch dont usually bother checking for them, if it turns out to be there then a new cable is ran regardless so cant see the point.

Am I missing something or is testing for a shared neutral simple?

take a resistance reading from the relevant live and work your way down the neutrals and see which ones are connected. If there is more than one connection you have a shared neutral.

Am I missing something or is testing for a shared neutral simple?

take a resistance reading from the relevant live and work your way down the neutrals and see which ones are connected. If there is more than one connection you have a shared neutral.

I think you may be sort of missing my point Peter.

What I'm saying is this. Yes i know that there are ways to test for borrowed neutrals, but it is not one of the tests i carry out.

If a customer wants a new consumer unit, then the test I carry out before removing their existing board is an insulation test to make sure that the new board can be fitted without rcd problems.

If ok then I fit the new board and carry all relevant tests. If a borrowed neutral shows up, then I deal with it.

Do you really undertake the test you describe before you change a board? If so, what do you do when you find a borrowed neutral?

it's always best to find any borrowed neutrals before changing a board. that way you can allow for the rectification in your price and no shocks to the customer when you tell him " sorry, mate, just found a problem. it's going to cost an extra £150 to sort it"

"Do you really undertake the test you describe before you change a board? If so, what do you do when you find a borrowed neutral?"

Er yes, then inform the customer of the extra work required, if they wont pay just be naughty and shove both lights on the same rcd.

I think you may be sort of missing my point Peter.

What I'm saying is this. Yes i know that there are ways to test for borrowed neutrals, but it is not one of the tests i carry out.

If a customer wants a new consumer unit, then the test I carry out before removing their existing board is an insulation test to make sure that the new board can be fitted without rcd problems.

If ok then I fit the new board and carry all relevant tests. If a borrowed neutral shows up, then I deal with it.

Do you really undertake the test you describe before you change a board? If so, what do you do when you find a borrowed neutral?
Ok Andy. yep it is easier to test for a borrowed neutral on a split load board........using the test i refered to earlier.....breakers on and RCDs off , Incomer off (of course) start on 1 side and just drop each breaker off in turn until it clears. Make a note of it and move on. Do the same on the other side until it clears again and you have the 2 offending circuits (nearly always landing lights)........

Reply to testing for a borrow neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock