Discuss testing for dead in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lofty84

Ive just got a new job and need to get a voltage tester , I think thats what its called, basically the thing u check the ciruit with to make sure it dead, then check on a known live source to make sure its working, then check circuit again to be sure its dead. Any reccomendations, dont want to spend a fortune if its not needed but dont wont something unreliale

If you want cheap,the most reliable is a lamp,a lamp holder and a piece of 2 core flex
It wont tell you the voltage reading ,but it does as good a job as any voltage tester
testing for dead {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

An "approved voltage indicator". Do you just want one with LEDs giving the approximate voltage or do you want a digital readout?

Lofty any voltmeter will do, you can even buy them at a shed (can't believe I've just said that) but keep yourself safe mate.

To test on a known supply in an exam you need a proving unit, in the field you new a known supply (eg the main incomer that you haven't turned off).

If you need something cheap and cheerful to keep you safe look at tool station or any order retailer, less than a tenner, job done. Just learn how to use it :).

Im going for commision from him over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> test meter .co.uk forum sponser and you get a discount

as for "Cheap" the Best one you can afford in the end IT MAY safe you making a very big bad mistake and safe your life

Im going for commision from him over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> test meter .co.uk forum sponser and you get a discount

as for "Cheap" the Best one you can afford in the end IT MAY safe you making a very big bad mistake and safe your life
You saving your brownie points for your next big purchase Mogga?

Cheers one and all, was actually looking at getting the Fluke T100 which I think you can get for about £35, good choice would you say??

I did see this Megger TPT210 Voltage Tester and creamed my pants but its £47. Im only just starting out so dnt know if its worth the extra money. But deffo need one to save my life potentialy

If you want cheap,the most reliable is a lamp,a lamp holder and a piece of 2 core flex
It wont tell you the voltage reading ,but it does as good a job as any voltage tester
testing for dead {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Haha!!.... Now that reminded me of the very first voltage tester i was issued, the Drummond test lamp!! (All the old leccy board sparky's were issued with them too) Later we were issued with the Square D solenoid plunger voltage indication tester, that was good for A/C-D/C working. And, .....i still have both of them, somewhere in my test equipment storage boxes...

I use both a Martindale with the LEDs and a Drummond Test Lamp. I also have a proving unit for them.

Wouldn't be without them. No excuse for using non-GS38 compliant approved voltage indicator in my opinion.

Ive just got a new job and need to get a voltage tester , I think thats what its called, basically the thing u check the ciruit with to make sure it dead, then check on a known live source to make sure its working, then check circuit again to be sure its dead. Any reccomendations, dont want to spend a fortune if its not needed but dont wont something unreliale
This is what I am having and I love it -> Fluke T120 Voltage & Continuity Tester - Free P&P BNIB | eBay

Would this be of any good -> Screwdriver Mains Tester - Screwdrivers - Hand Tools -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes , if you are looking on the cheap side? LOL.

These are good, and reasonably priced...

Kewtech KEWVOLT 2 [KEWVOLT 2] - £19.95 : Starlec

The only problem is that the tips are really sharp, and you don't want to be putting them in your front trouser pocket when you aren't using them, if you catch my drift.... I did and then promptly bent over to pick something up... :willy_nilly:

You might even find them cheaper on eBay. I think I got mine from there.

:grin:

GOODY Screwdriver Mains Tester - Screwdrivers - Hand Tools -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes these are great IF YOUR needing a tin of PAINT opening otherwise they realy should be BANNED and confined to the crusher there are many instances of guys getting plated due to these
Dilog DL6780 Combivolt 1 - Voltage & Continuity Tester Di-Log DL6780 there you go good set of testers and a voltage indicator thrown in AND 5% Discount AND reputable trader all YOU have to do is pick up the phone

Haha!!.... Now that reminded me of the very first voltage tester i was issued, the Drummond test lamp!! (All the old leccy board sparky's were issued with them too) Later we were issued with the Square D solenoid plunger voltage indication tester, that was good for A/C-D/C working. And, .....i still have both of them, somewhere in my test equipment storage boxes...
Saw a "wiggy" the other week at the boot sale.....nearly bought it n all he only wanted about £3 i think.....should have got it really..hmmm.....One i use now`s a di-log and its spot on...its been dropped a fair few times n all but just pick it up and it will still be working............good piece of kit really..........

Reply to testing for dead in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock