Discuss Testing for sub contractor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RISElectrical

Hi all,

This may be long winded so stay with me, also I think it's in the right bit but move it needed.

Been asked to do an eicr on an industrial factory, quite a large building and it's in a bit of a mess, anyway there is bound to be lots of remedial involved. The guy that owns the factory knows a mutual friend that is out of work, time served and competent electrician however probably not 17th edition, still 16th and no 2391. He want this electrician to carry out the works and for me to then give the EICs for the works. He said he doesn't mind paying me for me to do it but I said that unless I was doing the work then I couldn't give an EIC only an EICR, which his insurance company won't accept. However he then said can our mutual friend sub contract for me, so he would pay me, I would pay him and then the EICs issued under my company and not the electrician who is a mutual friend. I can visit site to inspect any work he does and at any stage and almost all jobs will be priced and designed by myself.

I don't know why the mutual friend won't test and certify, I can only assume its because he doesn't want to and just wants to turn up, do job, get paid type thing.

Is this common and would you recommend doing it? Whenever I have subbed stuff out before I have always been directly involved in the day to day work and if not then the sub contractor has signed the EIC, sometimes with my counter signature

Any thoughts on this would be great as unsure whether it's worth it or not tbh

Technically, there isn't anything wrong with this.
I'd have a few problems with it as it stands.
You need to find out exactly what the factory owner expects to happen.
Will he expect to pay for two full time sparks, or will he only exect you to turn up as and when.
How competent is the other sparks, if they can't issue any certification?
Perhaps the sparks normally works through agencies as an installer, and doesn't have test equipment, or then again, perhaps they just don't have a clue?
Who'll be responsible for the design, construction and testing?
Is the other sparks capable to design, or will you be expected to do the design?
If the other sparks is doing the installation work will he be responsible, or will the still expect you to have overall responsiblity?
Obviously you will be responsible for the testing.
If the other sparks is subcontracting, will they take and carry out your instructions?
To be honest, the list goes on and on.
I think I'd give it a miss.

Thanks for that, you said most of what I am thinking, and it's mostly unanswered, he wants a meeting next week to discuss but as it stands from our previous chat he want me to take the responsibility of the design and testing, while the other spark does the work, I assume the owner will then pay me a day rate for example to cover my time testing and signing off the job.

Also the factory owner has a few maintenance sparks based on site, why can't these issue test certs? Unless I am hearing him completely wrong it just doesn't add up to me. Seems like I will be making a little money from it whilst the other spark pulls a wage, however all responsibility falls on me. And in that case it may as well be me doing the install and getting all the money for it.

I'm just wondering if this factory owner is confused, thinking maybe that Part Pee covers all electrical work?? That would explain a lot of things. I'd go over everything with this owner and get to the bottom of what's going on before you commit yourself.

As far as i can see this is money for old rope. You can basically ask to conduct IR, Continuity, etc at both first fix and complete testing at completion. The owner is also happy with you coming in (at your convenience) for ongoing inspection purposes. To be honest, i can't see any risks to this working arrangement. You can always walk away if mutual agreements are broken during the construction... lol!!!

beat me 2 it goody when the brown stuff hits the fan its your bum on the line IMO if this "mutual friend" is out of work but wanting a bit of "subby" on the side sounds like he may be unavailable on a monday morning for a couple of hours once a fortnight hence he wont want a paper trail

Looks like everyone has covered all the points but most importantly you have to be happy with the work being done and its unseen standard as its you door that gonna be knocked on if the place burns down in a years time.

Reply to Testing for sub contractor in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock