Discuss Testing Help Please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jordyboy004

been on the firm for nearlly 2 years now and ive never had to do a test and inspect on a property. well now the time has come and im not entirely sure what tests i need to do, could some please tell me if this is correct.

visual inspection
IR all the circuits
get a Z reading from all the circuits
RCD test
earth loop
pfc

any more?

thanks

you wana learn cris ban peef

continuity of bonding conductors and circuit protective conductors
continuity of ring final circuit
insulation resistance

barriers and enclosures

dead polarity (your doing this in ur continuity tests)(i think) or in the insulation R test
live polarity
Earth electrode ( zs )
earth fault loop impedance (ze )( zs)
PFC
funtional testing

hope that helps

yeah thats great thanks, the continuity ones i forgot. im just trying to make up a little help sheet for myself explaining how to do the tests, ive got a mind blank of the pfc one tho. am i right in thinking there is different ways to test this depending on the earthing system? hard to remember 3 years ago at college lol. oh and what is crisban peef lol

Jordyboy

PFC is made up of prospective earth fault current (PEFC) measured between phase (sorry Line now, i've got my 17th edition head on) and earth, and Prospective short ciruit current (PSCC) measured between line and neutral.

the highest of these two values gets entered on the paperwork against PFC

Correct order is

Continuity (Protective and bonding conductors)
Insualtion Resistance
Polarity (which ISNT part of the IR test Luke!!!!)
Earth Fault loop impedence (Ze, Zs and your PFC's)
RCD's

Be aware that the general conscensus on Zs measurements is now changing.

If you have Ze, and your (R1+R2) values then measuring Zs when you dont need to is in direct contravention of the Electricity at Work Regulations. :eek:

Generally, measure it at a socket with a plug in lead, and calculate everywhere else

I was taught the acronym
CRIPELR

Continuity
Ring continuity
Insulation resistance
Polarity
Electrode resistance
Loop impedance
Rcd

Reply to Testing Help Please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock