Discuss Testing Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nicsin02

Hi guys just finished a 17hour shift so got a bit of a sore head and cant think straight just now lol, was on a ****ty install today and got a few questions to refresh my memory, thanks.... no slagging me

1. ring circuit= 6 sockets protected by a 32 mcb, on 1 of the sockets there is a 0.75mm flex connected straight into socket and runs upto the loft where its connected into a fused spur, unsure what rating fuse as it was damaged and couldnt get it out, does this mean this 0.75mm cable is protected by the 32a breaker, if it was me doing it i would have run a 2.5mm cable to the spur then wired from there in 1mm or 1.5, it is feeding 6 batton holders and an outside light

2. my new SELECT sheets for ir test on has L-L and L-E, why ?

3. dint have time to properly check this next problem going back 2morro, mcb is marked kitchen sockets... 32 A..... 3x cables into breaker, continuity between all 3 cables... lol

4. another note of point when searching this forum to refresh on reference methods it gives , B conduit, D Trunking then 101 twin and earth etc... should all refernce methods not be numbers and A,B,C,D etc... for type of cable

5. when measuring Zs on a ring circuit with a few sockets spured for it will u record the highest ring measurement or the highest spur same question for R1 + R2?

answers quick plz guys chocking to go to bed lol:dunce2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friend, Option 1 is your after information only and given a bit of time,a member may decide to give input regarding the various queries. Option 2 is that you are testing these items yourself,in which case the early scene in "Saving Private Ryan" springs to mind.......Good Luck :bomb:

Some may correct me but I'll have a go:

1. ring circuit= 6 sockets protected by a 32 mcb, on 1 of the sockets there is a 0.75mm flex connected straight into socket and runs upto the loft where its connected into a fused spur, unsure what rating fuse as it was damaged and couldnt get it out, does this mean this 0.75mm cable is protected by the 32a breaker, if it was me doing it i would have run a 2.5mm cable to the spur then wired from there in 1mm or 1.5, it is feeding 6 batton holders and an outside light Nothing wrong with using flex instead of T+E although I would do it your way too, 0.75mm flex straight from a socket is a fire waiting to happen. Some on here use the term back fusing to justify not protecting a cable further down the line however I don't agree. Run 2.5mm from the socket (providing there is nothing else spurred from it) to the FCU then the fuse should be either a 3A or 5A to protect the 0.75mm flex which is rated at 6A. If you can't get the fuse out, replace the whole thing so you CAN be sure.

2. my new SELECT sheets for ir test on has L-L and L-E, why ? L-L is between phases. L-E is just that... Line to Earth.

3. dint have time to properly check this next problem going back 2morro, mcb is marked kitchen sockets... 32 A..... 3x cables into breaker, continuity between all 3 cables... lol Could be a million reasons?? I have a number of ideas but without being there, none of us can know for sure.

4. another note of point when searching this forum to refresh on reference methods it gives , B conduit, D Trunking then 101 twin and earth etc... should all refernce methods not be numbers and A,B,C,D etc... for type of cable I haven't got my BGB to hand but you will find all the info you need on reference methods towards the back of it.

5. when measuring Zs on a ring circuit with a few sockets spured for it will u record the highest ring measurement or the highest spur same question for R1 + R2? Highest measurement on the circuit.

answers quick plz guys chocking to go to bed lol:dunce2:

just 1 thing to add to d skelton's excellent post. L-L is what used to be L-N. this is because N is now considered as a "Live" conductor.

1. ring circuit= 6 sockets protected by a 32 mcb, on 1 of the sockets there is a 0.75mm flex connected straight into socket and runs upto the loft where its connected into a fused spur, unsure what rating fuse as it was damaged and couldnt get it out, does this mean this 0.75mm cable is protected by the 32a breaker, if it was me doing it i would have run a 2.5mm cable to the spur then wired from there in 1mm or 1.5, it is feeding 6 batton holders and an outside light

Over current protection can be placed within 3m of the point in which the CSA changes...have a look around 433.2...

Although like you say much prefer it in 2.5mm, seems like a bodge...

4. another note of point when searching this forum to refresh on reference methods it gives , B conduit, D Trunking then 101 twin and earth etc... should all refernce methods not be numbers and A,B,C,D etc... for type of cable

No...have a look through appendix 4 or the on site guide

5. when measuring Zs on a ring circuit with a few sockets spured for it will u record the highest ring measurement or the highest spur same question for R1 + R2?

Highest measurement on the circuit.

Not even a like or a thanks nicsin02?? Typical! Tell someone how to do their job when they don't even know how to do it themselves and I don't even get recognition for it and yet when brightsparks response was almost word for word the same as mine, he gets a like?!? (no offence brightspark :))

Last edited:
well, i just gaven you a like and a thanks, coz i'm a good hearted person ( after the operation), and i think your post was useful. more than i can say for some of the jokers who were certified as nurses, wanting blood every day, must have been transylvanians.

Sorry guys, i wasn't begging for likes or anything :D, it was soley directed at the OP. Maybe I should have made that more clear!

I have edited post accordingly :)

gerroff, youse going for 100 thanks before crimbo. :boxing_smiley:

just 1 thing to add to d skelton's excellent post. L-L is what used to be L-N. this is because N is now considered as a "Live" conductor.

I was going to say 'L' call it Line or 'Live' ' is the same as 'N' a 'Live' conductor is any conductor that carries current in service as opposed to fault current, so I would say L-L is Live to Live AKA L to N not Line to Line AKA 3 Line
J

Reply to Testing Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock