Discuss Testing high level lighting circuits in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
I have been asked to do the initial verification on a newly completed building. so all the light fittings have been installed, false ceilings have been closed off,..etc.
what is your suggestion for testing the lighting circuits?( continuity, IR tests) some of them are at very high level ( 8 meters), some are installed on the false ceiling so even if I remove the lights, wont be able to reach the connectors at ceiling rose.flexible wire has been used from light up to connection point near slab) .
any suggestion?

Ideally you would not be in this position, but as you are there is not much gain by discussing it.

I don't know what the UAE regulations are, but assuming they are similar to the UK regs then your IR test is the easiest to do - make sure the CPC (E) is connected to the supply earth and then check L+N together to E.

For anything else you will need access to the lights, at the very least to the furthest ones, and at that sort of height you are looking at a platform being hired. Presumably they have some plan for this for the inevitable maintenance/replacement of lights in a couple of year's time?

If you can get to the lights flexible cables then you ought to be able to do a R1+R2 measurement on L to E with them temporarily shorted at one end (and N open) to confirm the CPC is complete and that impedance is low enough for the chosen OCPD.

The presence of fitted lights should make no little difference if N is open at the supply end, even if it were connected to E via the supply then the low test voltage for low-ohm measurement would not be impacted by the lights to any significant degree.

Finally I would do a live Zs measurement on the furthest light (non-trip, as I guess it is on a RCBO / RCD protected supply?) to really verify that it is all OK, but if that is too much trouble then the dead test of R1+R2 and a measurement of the board's Zs/Ze should allow you to confirm by calculation that it would disconnect rapidly enough on a fault.

Ideally you would not be in this position, but as you are there is not much gain by discussing it.

I don't know what the UAE regulations are, but assuming they are similar to the UK regs then your IR test is the easiest to do - make sure the CPC (E) is connected to the supply earth and then check L+N together to E.

For anything else you will need access to the lights, at the very least to the furthest ones, and at that sort of height you are looking at a platform being hired. Presumably they have some plan for this for the inevitable maintenance/replacement of lights in a couple of year's time?

If you can get to the lights flexible cables then you ought to be able to do a R1+R2 measurement on L to E with them temporarily shorted at one end (and N open) to confirm the CPC is complete and that impedance is low enough for the chosen OCPD.

The presence of fitted lights should make no little difference if N is open at the supply end, even if it were connected to E via the supply then the low test voltage for low-ohm measurement would not be impacted by the lights to any significant degree.

Finally I would do a live Zs measurement on the furthest light (non-trip, as I guess it is on a RCBO / RCD protected supply?) to really verify that it is all OK, but if that is too much trouble then the dead test of R1+R2 and a measurement of the board's Zs/Ze should allow you to confirm by calculation that it would disconnect rapidly enough on a fault.
Thank you so much for your reply and advice.
Yes, the consultant requires an inspection by a 3rd party but contractor has delayed it till now to try to get away with that as this is additional expense for them. Having all the lights being installed ( and they are all LED), makes the work more difficult. I probably need to disconnect them before carrying IR test?(to avoid damaging them)
We are following BS regulation here and all circuits are RCD protected.
Appreciate your comment again.

Ideally you would test the wiring before the lights were installed, but if it is too late for that and you can't (sensibly) disconnect them for testing, then do the L+N shorted together to E test. That way you are not trying to subject the LED electronics to a 500V test voltage, as they should be fully insulated from earth. Typically that is how you would do an inspection after installation on fixed electronic equipment anyway.

Ideally you would test the wiring before the lights were installed, but if it is too late for that and you can't (sensibly) disconnect them for testing, then do the L+N shorted together to E test. That way you are not trying to subject the LED electronics to a 500V test voltage, as they should be fully insulated from earth. Typically that is how you would do an inspection after installation on fixed electronic equipment anyway.
HI again,
what do you think of testing high level lights only by R2 testing and not R1+R2?

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Perfectly acceptable, but if you get that far, why not both R1/R2? In any event R2 at least shows continuity of cpc.
true. had a thought of connecting the lead to the main Earth bar in the panel ( while all CPCs are connected) and go and test every GI box ( behind light switches) and not go to the lights but I guess that is not fulfilling the purpose to measure each circuit resistance.
trying to find a way to avoid measurement at high level light connection points! :)

Surely part of the verification is inspection of installation methods and to visually check that all connections are sound and correct. If everything has been buttoned up ready to power up then l would sampling a few and pulling things apart. Should have had you in sooner so now going to have to pay for your time

Reply to Testing high level lighting circuits in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net