Discuss Testing if out-dated bonding still functional in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

michcosg

Hi Folks

I am a plumber and have recently had to replace a couple of old pipes that had old bonding connected to them - black cable cross bonding the two pipes and then going off under the floor boards.

Normally I would simply replace this bonding. The issue here is that a section of the replacement pipe is now plastic - difficult to get a single length of copper from his loft down between his lathe and plaster wall to his bathroom below. So I have lost continuity.

Is there any way I can easily test if this old bonding is still functional?

Many thanks

Michael

Hi mich,are you feeling like the new kid at a big comprehensive?......welcome pal,as said,it will need inspecting and testing to assess the need,but the words"black" and "lathe" give an indication of it's age. Sometimes these old cables are doing more than they should,sometimes they are no longer required,either way,an inspection by a dude who can understand the layout AND test to prove it,is probably best. To explain the dilema of providing a prescriptive answer to your question,imagine i posted on a plumbing forum "i have a gravity back boiler system for DHW and CH and have fitted a multi-fuel stove,can i move the vent pipe as it goes through the airing cupboard?..." You could not say yes or no. You would need to see the arrangement,know the size of pipework,old and new,was the original header tank the correct material to start with etc etc... It is the same regarding your cables. It is traditional,with a post such as yours,to answer dismissively and with scorn,but chaps such as Tel are leading the way with polite responses,and i hope to do the same. Good luck.

no...
but you`v seen a milling machine in someones living room....

Along with the two lathes, pillar drill, three welding sets, cutting gear, anvil, gas forge. All on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] floor.

She’s a one off, I’m meeting her for a drink in a short while. She’ll have some new madcap project lined up. Last week she was making surf boards for her grand kids.

Nuttier than a fruit cake, but a brilliant all round engineer.

Forgot to add, the lounge is a faraday cage and is sound proofed.

:rockon:at last. sounds like you've met your match. lol.

Along with the two lathes, pillar drill, three welding sets, cutting gear, anvil, gas forge. All on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] floor.

She’s a one off, I’m meeting her for a drink in a short while. She’ll have some new madcap project lined up. Last week she was making surf boards for her grand kids.

Forgot to add, the lounge is a faraday cage and is sound proofed.
Please,please tell me that she has a dog called "swarfe" :winkiss:

Reply to Testing if out-dated bonding still functional in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net