Discuss Testing IT equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gdrms

Is it now the case that all modern IT equipment and power supplies etc can be safely insulation tested at 500v? I have come across conflicting information and although I've done it I'd hate to think I may have caused a subsequent fault. I have a Seaward dvd which says not to do it, only the 100mA earth test, yet my Martindale manual, that's my tester, makes no mention of a problem and I've read elsewhere that equipment 10 years old or less is built to take it so go ahead. There are too many comments elsewhere saying 'it's not safe' for me to be convinced either way and I have a job coming up with a few pc's and psu's included so would appreciate any guidance.​

The IR test automatically connects line and neutral (type 2 test) meaning there's no pd between them, and then tests to earth.
The Martindale tester only has a 3 position switch to select the test current; IT equipment should be tested at 100mA (soft test).

So, as I understand it, on insulation resistance, live and neutral are strapped with 500v passed through to earth so no probs with the voltage getting up to the eqp't so no damage possible? I also see Martindale have revised their manual in that they say the power switch should be on during all tests. Is that the correct method? I can get the purpose when doing IR but is it always necessary for earth bond although, of course it's simpler to always leave it on?

Of course its not necessary to have it on during earth bond test - earth dosn't go through the switch does it !!

But yeah, for IT equipment Class I always test earth bond at 100mA.

Can't see why Seaward say not to do IR on IT equipt. in their DVD - I run two Seaward Supernova Plus(s) - and test menus embedded on these testers include IR @ 500vDC in the test settings.
There are a couple of test sequences which omit IR test and would be utilised on old IT equipment i.e. Pre pre BS EN 60950

It may be an old dvd and it's referring to the older pre 60950 eqp't. I shall press on with it then. Maybe Martindale advise leaving switch on to ensure it's not forgotten during IR test. Another thing, I have recently undertaken a job at a garage workshop and found the Snap On chargers have a 10A fuse at the plug when the charger draws just a few watts. I changed the fuses so far but with so many of them having the same 10A fuse I'm beginning ti think maybe there's a reason for it. Any thoughts on this?

Manufacturers sometimes fit a larger fuse than expected to allow for inrush currents.

Reply to Testing IT equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock